RE: Connection Issue

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:45:36 -0500

Hi Shawn,

Good points, but from what I understand, the overwhelming majority of
firewall-related security fubars are related to misconfiguration. It's a
lot easier to fubar different systems because it takes a lot more effort
to get intimate with all of them. If you have a single platform, you can
focus your learning efforts on it.

However, I do the need for "hardware" devices at the Internet edge that
can do fast filtering. If I have a fat pipe on the Internet edge, I
don't want ISA there, because its not fast enough. Its a much more
effiicient design to put a cisco something at the edge, because its so
effective as passing exploits at lightening speed :-)

Put the ISA's on the edge of the divisional LANs and use the gateway to
gateway VPN configs to join the these LANs. This division of labor
allows the Internet gateway to do basic packet filtering (FWIW) and
distribute the responsibility for the intelligent firewalling at the LAN
edges.

Centralization is efficient, but that efficiency becomes an Achille's
Heel. Distributed systems are hard to bring down completely. Centralized
systems can be brought down with a single blow.

:-)

IMHO,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder