[isalist] Re: Can't get my DPM servers to communicate over TMG-based VPN

  • From: Jerry Young <jerrygyoungii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:40:19 -0400

Rob,

Also keep in mind you can manually test TCP connectivity between the two
hosts to at least see if traffic is passing TMG.

Check and see which TCP ports the secondary DPM server uses to communicate
with the primary DPM server and then break out good old telnet (from a
command prompt).

Example to check to see if TCP port 443 is open between two hosts:
telnet somehost.onthe.net 443

If traffic is being blocked (and assuming the port is definitely open on
the remote host), you should see something like the following in response.

Connecting To somehost.onthe.net...Could not open connection to the host,
on port 443: Connect failed

Of course, if this is one of those 99 times out of 10 Jim mentioned, and it
is a routing problem, you'd see the same failure. Given, however, you can
RDP to the remote DPM server (TCP 3389) and ping both ways (assuming
between the DPM servers themselves), I'm thinking the issue lies elsewhere.

Also, check your rule that allows traffic between the two hosts.  The
following thread may help.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/687c2293-a24f-4d17-ac70-3e92159250d4/

--
Cordially yours,