[isalist] Automatic Configuration

  • From: "Mayo, Bill" <bemayo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:21:27 -0500

I had previously followed the instructions for setting up
auto-configuration of the proxy server in IE (wpad entries in DHCP/DNS).
At that time, it had mostly worked, but I had a few clients for which it
did not.  I therefore setup a group policy to fill in the proxy server.

I am working on upgrading to ISA 2006 now and looking to revisit the
issue.  The one thing that I note is that the auto configuration
overrules the setting in the proxy server field.  (At least that is the
way it appears to be working on my workstation.)  It is also my
observation that the name of the proxy server used by autoconfiguration
doesn't populate anywhere in Internet Options (at least not that I can
see), which leads me to my question.  Is there anywhere that you can see
the proxy information that is actually being used (as received through
auto-config)?  I want to be able to confirm that I am going through the
proxy server that I think I am going through for testing purposes.
Thanks!

Bill Mayo
Network Administrator
Pitt County MIS