Re: AW: logging to a database - anyone do it?

  • From: "DBA From Hell" <alecw@xxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:24:40 -0700

SQL Server is a superior way of storing the ISA logs, but make sure you
have the disk space.  If you're not so concerned with real-time logging,
you might also want to schedule a DTS Package to populate the log tables
with the text based logs.  The text logs are very readily shippable to SQL
Server.  To create the database, just create a new blank DB in SQL server
and to create the tables use the three SQL scripts that come with the ISA
Server install disks in the Support folder.  There is one for each
available log in ISA.

When you create the ODBC connection required to write the logs to SQL
Server, make sure to use a System ODBC connection (the second tab in ODBC)
rather than a User Connection.  Trying to connect with a User ODBC will
create unspeakable havoc.  Good luck!