RE: 403 Forbidden

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:30:22 -0700

Your mail app is acting up; it sent your mail as an attachment...
Ok - if you place a test client between the firebox (be quiet, Tim) and
the ISA and test using http://ip.add.re.ss/tsweb, *exactly* what do you
get?

If you expect to test external to the firebox, you'll have to add the
firebox external IP to the ISA "public names" list.

When a browser attempts to connect to a server, is sends a "host header"
as part of the request.
This header contains the "host" portion of the URL that was entered in
the address bar.
For instance, if the URL is
http://host.domain.tld/phisherman.dll?username=sillyfool&password=comple
tedumbshit
..then the host header will contain "host.domain.tld" and it's this data
that ISA will use to compare to the "public names" list to determine if
this request should be allowed.
403/12202 is how ISA says "no host header match found; don't go away
mad, just go away."

Ideally, you shouldn't use IP addresses at all, since it's a *very* old
virus connection technique (remember Code Red?).

   MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
   http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
   http://isatools.org
   Read the help / books / articles!