[IRLGuideDogs] Refusal to Carry Guide Dogs in Taxis

  • From: "Audrey Tormey" <atormey@xxxxxx>
  • To: "guidedog-egroup" <irlguidedogs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:10:38 -0000

Hi there,

Just interested in feedback in terms of individuals experience re.
travelling in taxis with their guide dogs!
I use public transport a great deal, and taxis regularly too.  Recently, I
have come across undesirable practices and attitudes of taxi and cab drivers
towards the reality of me travelling with Woody, and on highlighting that it
is illegal to refuse to carry a GDO and his, her dog, I have heard a whole
array of excuses! At this point I won't go into too much detail, since my
experiences are currently with the Taxi Regulator's Office and being
pursued - suffice to say, I find it intolerant, inexcusable, and totally
discriminatory behaviour.  Thankfully, on the other hand, I have drivers who
pick us up too who never question the issue of travel with one's guide dog!

I feel as a group, and certainly as an organisation, all involved with guide
dogs [and assistance dogs of any kind] must promote awareness on a large
scale in order to combat the prejudices that exist sadly in society in 2006!

Any feedback in terms of one's experiences most welcome!

Cheers!

Audrey & Wonderful Woody

the IRLGuideDogs mailing list
Send messages to irlguidedogs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unsubscribe, vacation or digest options can be set by emailing
irlguidedogs-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a command in the subject line.  For
help simply type help.
For help you may contact Darragh Ó Héiligh or Nicky Kealy at
irlguidedogs-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
For information on this list including policies and rules please visit
//www.freelists.org/webpage/irlguidedogs