Re: [IRLGuideDogs] navigating around tight spaces

  • From: "Ed Harper" <goat@xxxxxx>
  • To: <irlguidedogs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 13:37:55 +0100

Hi Darra,  I presume you are just holding the lead whilst going through.
If so I can't see that you are doing anything wrong, but I think I would
encourage whilst going through and reward after getting there.   It could
just be that he is enjoying the praise in transit and you are going to have
him stopping for a praise break.   If he is really worried you could try
going in front a few times and then praise him when you get there.

If all else fails get the desks moved a few inches.

Does it happen elsewhere?  If not and you go through other similarly narrow
spaces then it may not just be the narrowness.   Get some one to have a look
at what is there and what he is looking or sniffing at.   If there is some
one up from the Centre it wouldn't take long just to have a look.

I remember being told in the dim and distant past, though it holds good for
goats as well as dogs still, that the way to get an animal to do something
could be summarised as:  Ask, Show, Tell, Make, Start Again.

All The Best

Ed