Re: [IRLGuideDogs] Using escalaters

  • From: "Ed Harper" <goat@xxxxxx>
  • To: <irlguidedogs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 23:20:46 +0100

Hi Darra,

In cork airport I had the unfortunate experience of being shepherded on to
the escalotor by a wellmeaning person, who told me it was the lift, by the
time I realised what was happening it was too late to back off.  It is a
very short escalator, but it's amazing how quickly you think when scared.
I told my dog to jump, which is an instruction used if my dogs are in doubt
boarding boats, with which they may not be too familiar - other islands'
ferries for instance.   He probably thought I had lost it altogether, there
being no gap filled with sea, but he obligingly jumped forward as we arrived
at the top and he arrived with claws intact.

I met an Australian guide dog mobility instructor who had the sad experience
of having one of his dogs injured, whilst working with its owner, getting
its claws trapped.   Thereafter he refused to train his dogs to go on
escalators.   I gather they are trained routinely to do this in Australia.
If some one has Heather's email address handier than I do, maybe they could
ask her about this.   If I live to get through this current backlog of work,
I will.

I sometimes wonder if holidays are worth the run up to them and the catching
up after!!

If you have a choice, and your undergrounding is in London, try to avoid the
Angel Islington.   I was told, halfway up its stopped escalotor, that it has
the longest escalator in Europe.   May not be true but it felt like it.   It
took me about three pints before I could sing after it.

All The Best

Ed