[IOTAList] Major Update from Omaha

  • From: Shanna Stichler <slstich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iotalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 09:36:03 -0600

Hi all,

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and that 2017 is starting out well. For me, the holidays turned out rather bittersweet.

After a lot of discussion between Gideon's breeder, myself, and our mutual friend Leslie who trains primarily mobility dogs, I decided that Gideon would be happier being a service dog with a human of his very own. Since I'd put all the public access work into him already, with the exception of the subway and airline travel, I donated him to my friend so he could enter formal harness training. If all goes well, Gideon will assist a retired Marine who handled military working dogs and is a huge Shepherd fan. All I know is that Gideon will be doing some balance work in downtown Baltimore, and that his new person does a lot of walking, so Gideon will get lots of challenging work and physical exercise, as well as his very own person.

I have also decided to take the plunge and start a private service dog training company of my own. The name I came up with for my newborn business is Juno Dog Training Academy, or JDTA. My goals are to assist people with disabilities who are interested in training either dogs for themselves, or wish to learn to train dogs in a more general sense...learning to do so despite whatever physical disability they may have.

I am also wanting to help people evaluate service dog prospects as an objective third party and offer either board and train options for people who don't, as an example, feel comfortable teaching public access, traffic training, and everything in between. I have recently joined the IACP, well back in October, and plan to sit on their service dog committee if they'll have me. IACP stands for the International Association of Canine Professionals, and they offer a quarterly journal along with access to a variety of workshops that allow members to learn about almost all aspects of dog training and keep current within the field.

I was not trying to turn this update into an advertizement, I totally swear. Anyway, my web site is still under construction because my web developer just had a new baby who is rather ill right now, but feel free to let me know if you have questions about what I do or if I can help someone in any way.

I'm also willing to do vollunteer puppy raising or significantly discounted for a school or an individual, so long as they can get the dog to me. I just really miss having a puppy in the house. lol

Take care,

Shanna with Diamond, PHD, IACP#7565

Owner of Juno Dog Training Academy

Phone (402) 659-4765

https://m.facebook.com/junodogtraining/?refid=46&sld=eyJzZWFyY2hfc2lkIjoiYTE1YmY1NGFjMmUxNDQ4MzAzNmYyNzdjNDVlN2IwN2EiLCJxdWVyeSI6Imp1bm8gZG9nIHRyYWluaW5nIGFjYWRlbXkiLCJzZWFyY2hfdHlwZSI6IlNlYXJjaCIsInNlcXVlbmNlX2lkIjoxMTUyMzk1MTcwLCJwYWdlX251bWJlciI6MSwiZmlsdG