[interfacekit] Re: __mime_table

  • From: "Cedric Degea" <cdegea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: interfacekit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:05:39 +0200

>I assume, then, that somewhere there is an API (possibly just a
>message protocol to the roster/registrar) to make concrete changes to
>the __mime_table, as my __mime_table is larger than the __mime_table
>of a clean install, and contains entries from applications I once
>installed but have since removed (such as BeatWare Mail-It). Does
>anybody know about such an API (presumably from the olden days) off
>hand?

Dunno the API (function name), but this call is probably
done, I'd guess, in the ctor of BApplication, seeing how
a machine that has never seen Diannes 'Quickres' tool will
not open resources with it, whereas when you _launch quickres
for the first time_, the mime table seems to be aware of
it afterwards (same goes for other apps).

Something more on the plate of Ingo for him to implement
I guess =-)...

This lingering-old-apps problem is a little annoying; a
couple years ago I used to be anal with my mime database
and go Delete (living dangerously..) some entries that
seemed obsolete, now I don't bother any more, waiting
for the next time I do a clean-install. (come on guys,
coder quicker!! whip whip whip). It's the only one
thing that prevents from saying that *BeOS is 100% clean
WRT installing/deinstalling apps when compared to Win
and its registry-of-death.

--
PGP key: http://cdegea.free.fr/degea_kagi_pubkey.txt | BeDev E-16870
"What's oil got to do, got to do with it" -- F02 Chorus