[interfacekit] Re: __mime_table

  • From: "Erik Jaesler" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: interfacekit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:14:15 -0700

>> One other MIME related thing I should mention is that, while speaking

>> with AnEvilYak a few weeks ago, he noted that the automatic MIME
>> sniffer on his system never runs when he has something like SETI
>> running in the background all the time. He mentioned that it might be

>> nice if we could implement a way around this, as he always has to
>> manually identify files otherwise.
>
>Very good point. Perhaps it is sufficient to not just to look, if there
>are spare CPU cycles at all, but, in case there are no spare cycle, to
>analyze what priority the processes have that consume most of the
cycles.
>Supposing that SETI and similar background number crunching processes
have
>the lowest imaginable priority, this seems to be a reasonable strategy.

Another possibility, which might be a bit too hackish, would be to set
up a BMessageRunner so that our sniffing happens on a reasonably regular
schedule regardless of what else is going on.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the
argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
        -William Pitt, British prime-minister (1759-1806)