May 2003 #1 Computer IT Education & Training Newsletter

  • From: "Scott Turton-Intelligentedu.com" <intel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: intelinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 01 May 2003 23:43:02 -0700

         Newsletter for Computer IT Education,
             Training & Tutorial Resources

          *** ISSUE #33-1 - May 2003 ***
              1st edition for this month

              http://www.intelligentedu.com/

     This Newsletter is only sent to its subscribers and
     is available in early June, 2003 on the web at
     http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletter33-1.html

     Newsletter Archives are here:
     http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletter.html

     Subscribe and unsubscribe instructions are at the end.

     Please forward this newsletter to all your friends
     and associates who might be interested!

In This Issue:

1)... Editor's Greeting

2)... The Best New Free I.T. Training & Tutorial Sites

3)... New Free I.T. Books & Book Sites

4)... University Computer Science Course Sites

5)... The Best Suggested Sites from Website Users

6)... New I.T. Training & Tutorial Link Sites

7)... I.T. Sites and Free Downloads Worth Mentioning

8)... Question of the Month about Technical Training

9)... Please Support Our Computer Training Mission

1) Editor's Greeting:

Hello everyone, and welcome to our new subscribers!

This is the 1st edition of our May 2003 issue of our free semi-
monthly newsletter for Computer IT Education, Training, &
Tutorial Resources providing you with the latest Free online IT
Training Resources that we have recently discovered and
researched. This newsletter is free to anyone subscribing
(instructions at bottom, no username/password is needed). To
access our member site, however, you do need a user name and
password - registering as a member of Intelligentedu.com costs $10 for
two months, for more information please see below 'Become a
Member of Intelligentedu.com'.

My desire is that these free resources will help you with your
computer education and training and are tools to advance your IT
career. Our main mission is the training of those less fortunate
who are seeking to become computer literate, both technically and
from a user's perspective.

In this issue we describe and link to a total of 37 computer, IT
and programming learning and tutorial web sites. By means of this
email newsletter, you have knowledge of and access to these sites
before our web site visitors do. For your convenience, this
newsletter will be available to you in HTML format at this
special url on May 4: http://www.intelligentedu.com/current_news.html

*** Current News ***

Are you looking for quality e-mail newsletters? EzineXchange is a
brand new and exciting service that I believe is a step above the
rest. And if you're a publisher it will help build your
subscription list for free! Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/ape6.
Also, if you're sitting in traffic when you would rather be home
studying, our Audio Study Guides could be for you. Go here to
check them out: http://tinyurl.com/asn3

I wish you the best with your computer studies and learning.

Warm Regards,
Scott Turton
Newsletter Editor and Webmaster
scott_turton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.intelligentedu.com/

EducationOnlineForComputers.com:
http://www.educationonlineforcomputers.com

Our new software application and office training and tutorial
site, EducationOnlineForComputers.com, is now up and running. We
give you Free access to hundreds of Free Training and Tutorials
covering Microsoft Office, Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and
FrontPage. We also provide you a member site for the best
available online software application training. You can sign up
for the Free Newsletter here:
http://www.educationonlineforcomputers.com/optin_newsletter.html

Newsletter Sponsor: Audio Study Guides

If you're sitting in traffic when you would rather be home
studying, our Audio Study Guides are for you. Listen to our
material while you commute to work and learn key exam points.
There is a lot of material to remember in order to pass your
Certification exams. Use your sense of hearing to help you retain
the material. Stop wasting valuable study time.
Visit Audioexam: http://tinyurl.com/asn3

"Learn New Skills and Increase Your Earning Power
 - With Free Online Computer Training!"

*** Become a Member of Intelligentedu.com ***
http://www.intelligentedu.com/sign-up/index.html

Our Members' Site contains the web's best computer and IT
training resources and tutorials. This content is individually
linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your IT
learning experience. We have done all the web research and
presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your
computer training. For short FAQ Answers, please see the end of
this newsletter.

The total price to join as a member is only $10 total for 2
months, $18.50 for 4 months or $25.50 for 6 months. The funds
generated will assist us to help all those seeking IT education
and application development training. Here's the link to see
what's available on our member's site and to sign up:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/sign-up/index.html

-> Here are Your 4 Rewards for Subscribing to this Newsletter <-

*** Free Online IT Training Materials for Subscribers***
This section of our site contains over 2,000 free IT, computer
and programming training resource links:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/free_it_training_materials_and_books.html

*** Free Online Computer Training and Tutorial Resources***
Containing over 8,000 free IT training and tutorial resources,
this section of our site is available only to our newsletter
subscribers and web site members:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/newly_researched_free_training.html

*** Free e-Book: "Understanding Computer Security" ***
Our new e-book contains the best information from U.S. government
agency computer security papers and guides and presents it in a
coherent and understandable manner. My hope is that this e-book
will make computer security easier to learn. Click here to
receive your Free Copy:
http://intelinfo.hypermart.net/Understanding_Computer_Security.zip
(553 kb). When unzipped it is a windows executable.

*** And here is your fourth reward for being our subscriber:
we'll show you how to get 50% more traffic to your site for free
- Click on this link to sign up at the best free traffic
generator on the web today: http://tinyurl.com/4i2x

2)  The Best New Free I.T. Training & Tutorial Sites:

This section of our newsletter contains the best new free IT
training and tutorial sites that we have found and researched in
the last few weeks. These resources will be added to our Free IT
Training & Courses page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat1.html,
our Free IT Tutorials and Guides page at
http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat2.html, or to our members' site.

Information Processing & Technology - A Virtual Approach:
http://wonkosite.ausbone.net/cybertext/

This online course offers modules covering Information Systems,
Algorithms and Programming, Artificial Intelligence, Computer
Systems (hardware and software) and the Social/Ethical
implications of Information Technology. Its emphasis is system
development rather than the mere use of application packages.

Basic Computer Concepts Tutorials:
http://www.cs.usask.ca/research/research_groups/aries/projects/applets/tutorials/index.html

This tutorial consists of 6 different sections, each designed to
teach a different programming concept. These are: Stacks, Queues,
Sorting Techniques, Trees, Searching, and Hashing.

Featured Linux Resources:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/offers/lp/linux/

These are specially selected Linux resources from developerWorks
and IBM product sites. This collection includes Web-based
tutorials, on-demand Webcasts, classes in your area, offers for
developerWorks CDs with Linux tools.

Australia Linux Conference Proceedings and Recordings:
http://conf.linux.org.au/

All submitted papers and audio recordings of all the
presentations are available free for the recently completed
Linux.conf.au 2003, which is Australia's national Linux
conference. It was held at The University of Western Australia in
Perth in January 2003.

Training Cafe:
http://www.trainingcafe.com/index.asp
Offers several free courses, including these two:

Internet Technology Series:
http://www.trainingcafe.com/about/itsdescription.htm
Seventeen modules introduce you to Internet technologies and get
you started incorporating the Web into your classroom.

Macromedia Fundamentals:
http://www.trainingcafe.com/about/mmfdescription.htm
These modules introduce Macromedia Web development tools:
Macromedia FreeHand, Macromedia Flash, Macromedia Fireworks,
Macromedia Dreamweaver, and Macromedia Director.

Index DOT HTML and Index DOT CSS:
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/

This site attempts to collect as much information as possible in
one location about the HTML and CSS languages, and aims to be a
practical reference resource for authors, concentrating on
features that have been implemented in currently popular web
browsers.

The Database Central KnowledgeBase:
http://databasecentral.com/knowledgebase/

This is the largest directory of database software information on
the Net. It is a one-stop clearinghouse for information on
database programming, tutorials, web connectivity, shareware,
data warehousing, middleware, and more. Here are the Best and
Coolest pages in Database Central:
http://databasecentral.com/knowledgebase/Cool/

PostgreSQL Introduction:
http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200301/200301.htm

Linux Productivity Magazine has a lengthy introduction to the
PostgreSQL database available online.

Web Services Architect Articles Archive:
http://www.webservicesarchitect.com/archives.asp

Web services articles covering SOAP, WSDL, ebXML, UDDI, .NET, SUN
ONE, WSFL, XML-RPC, XML, CRM, HRM, EAI, andERP.

Network Universe - The Online Networking Resource:
http://www.dtool.com/navarc.html

These are excellent networking tutorial articles. Other pages on
this site cover Security, Cisco, and an IPSec Gloassry.

The Mono Handbook:
http://www.go-mono.org/tutorial/html/en/index.html

This is a collection of tutorials and quick start guides for
Mono, the open source .Net Framework implementation. It covers
the Mono runtime, the C# language, tools like the debugger,
certain parts of the class library, the Database layer ADO.NET,
and the WebSite Framework ASP.NET, as well as GTK#. This page has
more Mono articles and tutorials: http://www.go-
mono.com/papers.html

.Net Tips and Tricks:
http://www.pdsa.com/downloads/tipstricks.aspx

Find a variety of samples, presentations and white papers filled
with practical information, click on the links to open up the
many free training documents.

Wintellect.com:
http://www.wintellect.com/resources/

Tutorials, Tips, FAQs, Newsletters, and Forums covering Microsoft
.Net framework. (free registration required for tutorials)

myITforum.com Articles:
http://www.myitforum.com/articles/

Articles covering Windows and Microsoft technology, click on the
topic title links for all articles in that topic.

3) New Free Computer IT Books, Publications & Book Sites:

Some of these web resources will be added to our Free IT Books
page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/free_computer_books.html and
some will be added to our members site.

Big Technical Libary:
http://freebooks.by.ru/

A large collection of books and documents about programming,
networking, operating systems, web design and graphics. Online
and archived for download.

Unix, Linux, System Administration and Programming.:
http://studio.openunix.org/pub/ebook/
http://studio.openunix.org/pub/ebook/pdf_docs/

Here are some of the books here:

Special Edition Using Java, Special Edition Using CGI, CGI
Developer's Guide, HTML 4.0 Specification:
http://ftp.openunix.org:81/pub/ebook/internet/index.html

Unix Unleashed:
http://ftp.openunix.org:81/pub/ebook/unix_unleash/index.html

Platinum Edition Using Visual Basic 5:
http://ftp.openunix.org:81/pub/ebook/vbasic/index.html

Visual C++ in 12 Easy Lessons:
http://ftp.openunix.org:81/pub/ebook/vc-12/index.html

Linux in the Workplace:
http://linuxpip.org/

Whether you're somewhat experienced or completely new to
computers, this book was written for you. It focuses on programs
that are available for free, and on those you are most likely to
need in a typical office, or even home, environment.

2 Free Books by Bruce Perens:

The Linux Development Platform:
http://www.informit.com/content/downloads/0130091154.pdf

Embedded Software Development with eCos:
http://www.informit.com/content/downloads/0130354732.pdf

The Software Design and Development Book:
http://www.markwatson.com/opencontent/design.zip

This book is a brand new book that is still incomplete. The
author is releasing an early manuscript to get feedback on the
topics that he has selected.

New CHM format of the PHP Manual:
http://weblabor.hu/php-doc-chm/

This is a new release for this format of the PHP Manual.

Beginning Perl:
http://learn.perl.org/library/beginning_perl/

This book is for those new to programming who want to learn with
Perl. You will find it easier if you already have some basic
programming experience, but the material covered can be mastered
by anyone with just a text editor, some common sense and a
computer.

Design and Validation of Computer Protocols:
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/gerard/popd.html
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/what/spin/Doc/Book91.html

The book introduces a sound discipline for the design of complete
and consistent concurrent systems. The techniques explored in
this book have been applied to the design of distributed systems,
operating systems, telephone switching systems, and network
protocols.

Name Resolution and Browsing in Samba, Part 1:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/onlamp/excerpt/samba_chap7/index.html

O'Reilly has made this chapter the book Using Samba, 2nd Edition
available. It focuses on name resolution using WINS, which is
supported by Samba with the nmbd daemon.

17 Free E-Books on Internet Marketing and Promotion:
http://www.marketing-resources.com/ebook.html

Free ebooks you can download here include: Online Stealth
Marketing, 16 Easy Steps to a Web Business, Web Site Design
Course, Ingredients for Success, Ezine Writer, and Your Own
Internet Business.

4) University Computer Science Course Sites
   Free to Browse and Study:

These web sites will be added to our Free University IT Course
Webs page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat3.html

CS151 Fundamentals of Computer Science I:
http://www.cs.grinnell.edu/~rebelsky/Courses/CS151/2002F/Handouts/syllabus.html
http://www.math.grinnell.edu/~rebelsky/Courses/CS151/2001S/Handouts/syllabus.html
This is an introduction to computer programming using Scheme,
topics include algorithm design, coding, testing, debugging,
documentation, procedural abstraction, and simple data
structures.

CS152 Fundamentals of Computer Science II:
http://www.cs.grinnell.edu/~rebelsky/Courses/CS152/2000F/Outlines/index.html
http://www.math.grin.edu/~rebelsky/Courses/CS152/2000S/Handouts/syllabus.html
Study the design, analysis, and verification of algorithms.
Includes a discussion of data abstractions and data structures.

CSC 364 Computer Networks:
http://www.math.grin.edu/~rebelsky/Courses/CS364/2000S/Handouts/syllabus.html

This course focuses on the communications protocols used in
computer networks, and also considers the use of network
architectures and protocol hierarchies to provide more complex
services.

CSC 302 Programming Language Concepts:
http://www.math.grin.edu/~rebelsky/Courses/CS302/99S/Handouts/syllabus.html
http://www.math.grin.edu/~rebelsky/Courses/CS302/98S/Handouts/syllabus.html

Expand your knowledge of the programming language paradigms while
investigating design issues in programming languages. Teaches
students functional programming in Scheme, object-oriented
programming in Java, and imperative programming in both
languages.

CSC-223 Software Design:
http://www.math.grin.edu/~rebelsky/Courses/CS223/97F/syllabus.html

Study of software life cycle and its consequences, includes
design, coding, testing, and documenting large software packages.
Study issues in software engineering, human factors in computing
systems, safety of software systems, and learn languages like
Java, tools like Make and RCS.

CSC-103 Problem Solving and Computing:
http://www.math.grin.edu/~rebelsky/Courses/CS103/98S/Handouts/syllabus.html

This is an interesting course that combines a study of techniques
of solving mathematical problems with allied programming
exercises.

5) The Best Suggested Sites from our Website Users - Every month
we feature the best suggested IT training and tutorial sites from
our website visitors. Here are this month's sites:

Bob Cerelli's Windows Page:
http://onecomputerguy.com/

The main goal of this site is to provide clear, accurate and easy
to understand information regarding Windows95/98/ME/2000/XP.

ISAserver.org:
http://www.isaserver.org/

Microsoft ISA Server Firewall and Cache resource site, very good
tutorials for free.

6) New Computer & IT Training & Tutorial Link & Resource Sites:

These web sites will be added to our IT Links and Resources page
at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat6.html

Coding Library:
http://www.nettrash.com/users/fdb/

Link and resource site covering these categories: Applications,
Architecture, Computer Science   Databases, Multimedia,
Networking, Operating Systems, Programming Languages and Tools,
and more.

Java Links:
http://www.akgupta.com/Java/links.htm

This is a decent, though small, collection of free Java learning,
tests and resource sites.

7) I.T. Sites and Free Downloads Worth Mentioning:

OldVersion.com:
http://www.oldversion.com/

If you are looking for an old version of any program,
OldVersion.com should be your first stop. Older versions of
programs, such as Real Player, are sometimes nice to install
because of unwanted feature changes that are forced upon you.

Amicron Global Search & Replace:
http://www.amicron.com/files/GlobalSearchReplace.exe
Use this free utility to strip text out of a group of text files
(great for web sites).

Amicron NetBackup network-based file backup utility:
http://www.amicron.com/downloads/netback.htm

HP Test Drive: Linux:
http://www.testdrive.compaq.com/os/linux/

HP Solutions Alliance offers a variety of operating systems for
you to try out. Make sure your code runs on the most popular
operating systems before your competitors do, or try out
operating systems you don't have access to on your own systems.
From HP's own Tru64 Unix to Linux to FreeBSD, you can try them
out through Test Drive.

Pentium optimization tricks:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~smit/pentium.zip

This archive contains a good collection of pentium optimization
documents, these are advanced and assume that you already know
how to program in assembly language.

8) Question of the Month about Technical Training:

Each month Scott Turton will answer a current or important
question that we have received about computer and IT training and
career development.

May 2003 Question of the Month #1: Can you show me where to
download good, free web master apps and utilities?

Answer:  Here are some of the best sites for free resources for
web masters:

Free Web Templates:
http://www.free-web-templates-free-web-templates.com/
http://www.weballey.net/templates/
http://www.webtemplatesonline.com/webtemplates/index.php
http://winstart.com/template/
http://www.webdesignhelper.co.uk/  (also web and photoshop
tutorials)
http://www.the4bears.freeserve.co.uk/
http://www.steves-templates.com/
http://www.freewebtemplates.com/

35 Free Web Page Templates:
http://web.thenetter.com/dloads/freetemps.zip

Royalty Free Art and Free eBook:
http://royaltyfreeart.com/free.html

Free Clipart Network:
http://www.free-clipart.net/cgi-bin/clipart/directory.cgi

Handy ImageMapper:
http://www.silveragesoftware.com/handytools.html
A great little freeware image map creation tool which supports
BMP, JPG, PNG, and GIF file formats.

Colorificator:
http://colourificator.sitekit.net/
A color generation tool which will allows you to adjust RGB
values and supplies you with the HEX values for the web.

Captureur:
http://membres.lycos.fr/truillet/captureur.html
A quick and easy to use screen capture utility which is easy to
use for quick screen capturing.

Deknop:
http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/deknop/deknop.htm
A better than average button creator, giving you a a great many
options, with a very nice looking visual layout.

Shoestring's Picture Dicer:
http://www.ziplink.net/~shoestring/dicer01.htm
A great app for slicing an image into a number of smaller images,
works well for mouseover effects.

Font Viewer:
http://www.blaiz.net/font_viewer.html
Fast loading, type in a word and see an instant preview of that
word in all different font styles.

TextEffects:
http://www.blaiz.net/text_effects.html
This program lets you create 3d text for logos, icons and
buttons, it's easy to use.

Free JavaScript Archive:
http://web.thenetter.com/free_javascript_code_html_tools_copy_paste.html
Offers easy freeware JavaScript code for website effects such as
Status Bar Tools, Pop-up windows, Browser tricks, Menu Builders,
and more.

I hope this helps you.

Scott Turton
Web Master and Editor
http://www.intelligentedu.com

9) Please Support Our Training Mission

http://www.intelligentedu.com/support.html

How You Can Support Our IT Training Mission

Please help support Intelligentedu.com's Computer and IT Education and
Training Mission by visiting our sponsors below. By doing so, you
will be helping people who want to learn to use computers in an
Information Technology career.

University of Phoenix Online: Advance your career:
http://pontly.com/clk/aftauserafthepausulde

DeVry: Online degrees for working adults?
http://iashel.com/clk/guntuanglangan

ITT Technical Institute: Choose from their many programs:
http://ipodra.com/clk/kaitanyunnuodiao

Free to Sell - The Ultimate eBook!
(lowest price on the web)
http://www.intelligentedu.com/free_to_sell.html

Search for IT Training:
http://tinyurl.com/4133

Computer Colleges:
http://tinyurl.com/4132

American College of Computer & Information Sciences:
Get the degree you need to advance your career...online at your
convenience
http://wesac.com/clk/solfglurtmataftatz

Saint Leo University Online:
Accelerated Online Degree Programs: Business and Accounting,
Computer Information, Criminal Justice, Liberal Arts.
http://gartum.com/clk/yadenibonkiryudaibon

University Alliance Schools:
Accelerated degrees and flexible online courses with streaming
video lectures
http://elilip.com/clk/tuonongzangtuzhuai

Computer Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources

http://www.intelligentedu.com/
Free I.T. Training Now!

A free and member-based I.T. educational and training portal web
site. We have compiled, categorized, described, and linked many,
many sites that will be of keen interest to computer science
students and instructors and others seeking free training and
knowledge about computers. All areas are covered, from
programming to systems administration to networking to the
internet. You are able to study and learn all about computers and
I.T. via Free training, courses, tutorials, books, guides,
documentation, articles, tips, notes, and help. Also offered are
free technical training tutorials co-branded with
Beginners.uk.co. Check us out today.

Copyright Notice: Please note that all of the items hyperlinked
are copyrighted by their authors and/or publishers. You are
expected to look for, read, and adhere to such notices.
Downloaded and online material is copyrighted whether or not a
copyright notice is present.

*** Intelligentedu.com's Member Site ***
http://www.intelligentedu.com/sign-up/index.html

Our Members' Site contains the web's best computer and IT
training resources and tutorials. This content is individually
linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your IT
learning experience. We have done all the web research and
presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your
computer training.

Intelligentedu.com Member Site FAQ Answers:

1. Over half of the web sites and pages in our members site are
not in the free section of our web site. The online training
resources in our members' site are linked and laid out in a much
more detailed fashion than those in the free section. This will
save you time in finding all the best free training on the web.

2. If you use a credit card when joining, it will be billed by
Verotel. When your membership period expires, you will be asked
if you want to renew your membership, you will not be
automatically charged another fee on your credit card or check.

3. You can also use PayPal to sign-up as a member of
Intelligentedu.com, just use this link:
<http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/become_a_member.html>. If you
register to pay $10.00 (for 2 months access) via PayPal using
this method, simply tell us in the 'Special Instructions' what
you want for your user name and password.

4. If your country is not listed in the drop-down list, please
use 2checkout.com to register as an intelligentedu.com site member
using this link:
<http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/intelinfo_member.html>. I will
then send you an email asking what you would like to use for your
user name and password.

5. If you are looking for training and tutorials covering popular
software such as Microsoft Office, Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver,
Web Development, Windows and Computer Hardware, please see our
sister site, http://www.EducationOnlineForComputers.com

The total price to join our member's site is only $10 total for 2
months, $18.50 for 4 months, or $25.50 for 6 months. The funds
generated will assist us to help all those seeking IT education
and application development training. Here's the link to see
what's available on our member's site and to sign up:
<http://www.intelligentedu.com/sign-up/index.html>. You can email
Scott Turton with questions at scott_turton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I will give you 8 great Free Bonuses when you sign up now.
These are as follows:
1. A Comprehensive 47-page IT Glossary
2. How To Understand Windows Error Messages program
3. 105 Great Totally Free Utility Programs
4. A Bug Tracking Access
5. The Four Best IT Salary Calculator/Wizard sites
6. 12 Great Web Resources for Learning the Best Methods
    to Study and Take Tests
7. Six Great e-Books (a $120 value) to help you Make Money
    using the Internet
8. Five extra bonus IT resource sites that are the best from
    our "worth mentioning" newsletter section

Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank
email to this address:
intelinfo-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(You will need to reply to a confirming email.)

Or go to this web page and use the subscribe form:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletr_sub_unsub.html

To Unsubscribe from this Free monthly Newsletter of Computer
Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank
email to this address:
(no need to confirm)

Or go to this web page and use the unsubscribe form:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletr_sub_unsub.html

Thank You!