Jan 2004 Computer IT Education & Training Newsletter

  • From: "Scott Turton-intelligentedu.com" <intel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: intelinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 22 Jan 2004 22:51:23 -0800

         Newsletter for Computer IT Education,
             Training & Tutorial Resources

          *** ISSUE #38 - Jan. 2004 ***

     This Newsletter is only sent to its subscribers and
     is available in Feb., 2004 on the web at

     Newsletter Archives are here:

     Subscribe and unsubscribe instructions are at the end.

     Please forward this newsletter to all your friends
     and associates who might be interested!

In This Issue:

1)... Editor's Greeting

2)... The Best New Free I.T. Training & Tutorial Sites

3)... New Free I.T. Books & Book Sites

4)... University Computer Science Course Sites

5)... The Best Suggested Sites from Website Users

6)... New I.T. Training & Tutorial Link Sites

7)... I.T. Sites and Free Downloads Worth Mentioning

8)... Question of the Month about Technical Training

9)... Please Support Our Computer Training Mission

1) Editor's Greeting:

Hello everyone, and welcome to our new subscribers!

This is the January 2004 issue of our free monthly newsletter for
Computer IT Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources providing
you with the latest Free online IT Training Resources that we
have recently discovered and researched. This newsletter is free
to anyone subscribing (instructions at bottom, no
username/password is needed). To access our member site, however,
you do need a user name and password - registering as a member of
Intelligentedu.com costs $15 for two months, for more information
please see below 'Become a Member of Intelligentedu.com'.

My desire is that these free resources will help you with your
computer education and training and are tools to advance your IT
career. Our main mission is the training of those less fortunate
who are seeking to become computer literate, both technically and
from a user's perspective.

In this issue we describe and link to a total of 33 computer, IT
and programming learning and tutorial web sites. By means of this
email newsletter, you have knowledge of and access to these sites
before our web site visitors do.

*** Current News ***

I apologize for the lateness of the newsletter this month. We
have changed its frequency to every month, instead of semi-

Please remember that our current newsletter issue is always
available in HTML format at the following address:

This issue, Jan. 2004:

I wish you the best with your computer studies and learning.

Warm Regards,
Scott Turton
Newsletter Editor and Webmaster

Our new software application and office training and tutorial
site, EducationOnlineForComputers.com, gives you Free access to
hundreds of Free Training and Tutorials covering Microsoft
Office, Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and FrontPage. We also
provide you a member site for the best available online software
application training. You can sign up for the Free Newsletter

"Learn New Skills and Increase Your Earning Power
 - With Free Online Computer Training!"

*** Become a Member of Intelligentedu.com ***

Our Members' Site contains the web's best computer and IT
training resources and tutorials. This content is individually
linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your IT
learning experience. We have done all the web research and
presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your
computer training. For short FAQ Answers, please see the end of
this newsletter.

The total price to join as a member is only $15 total for 2
months, $25 for 4 months, $34 for 6 months, or $59 for a whole
year. The funds generated will assist us to help all those
seeking IT education and application development training. Here's
the link to see what's available on our member's site and to sign
up: http://www.intelligentedu.com/sign-up/index.html

-> Here are Your 4 Rewards for Subscribing to this Newsletter <-

*** Free Online IT Training Materials for Subscribers***
This section of our site contains over 2,000 free IT, computer
and programming training resource links:

*** Free Online Computer Training and Tutorial Resources***
Containing over 8,000 free IT training and tutorial resources,
this section of our site is available only to our newsletter
subscribers and web site members:

*** Free e-Book: "Understanding Computer Security" ***
Our new e-book contains the best information from U.S. government
agency computer security papers and guides and presents it in a
coherent and understandable manner. My hope is that this e-book
will make computer security easier to learn. Click here to
receive your Free Copy:
(553 kb). When unzipped it is a windows executable.

*** And here is your fourth reward for being our subscriber:
we'll show you how to get 50% more traffic to your site for free
- Click on this link to sign up at the best free traffic
generator on the web today: http://tinyurl.com/4i2x

2)  The Best New Free I.T. Training & Tutorial Sites:

This section of our newsletter contains the best new free IT
training and tutorial sites that we have found and researched in
the last few weeks. These resources will be added to our Free IT
Training & Courses page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat1.html,
our Free IT Tutorials and Guides page at
http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat2.html, or to our members' site.

Ray Toal - Classes:

Plenty of free learning and training materials are available at
this site. Here are the resources:

Internet Technologies Courseware:

Computer Graphics Courseware:

Concurrent and Distributed Programming Courseware:

Data Structures and Algorithms Courseware:

Internet Technologies Courseware:

Object Technologies Courseware:

Systems Programming Courseware:

Programming Languages Courseware:

Introduction to Programming Languages:

Introduction to C:

Introduction to C++:

Introduction to Perl:

Introduction to Java:

Introduction to SQL:

Programming in C++ Rules and Recommendations:

The purpose of this document is to define one style of
programming in C++. The rules and recommendations presented here
are not final, but should serve as a basis for continued work
with C++. This collection of rules should be seen as a dynamic
document; suggestions for improvements are encouraged.

C Programmer's Notebook:

This notebook discusses issues which C programmers always seem to
encounter as they learn and grow in their programming experience.
Many of the topics are specific to a certain system, which makes
them inappropriate for the C newsgroup FAQ.

C / C++ Reference:

This site provides the following references for C and C++:
Standard C Library and all C Functions, C++ I/O, C++ Strings, C++
Standard Template Library and all C++ Functions.

Also, these general C/C++ references are covered:
    * Pre-processor commands
    * Operator Precedence
    * Escape Sequences
    * ASCII Chart
    * Data Types
    * Keywords

Windows-to-Linux Roadmap:

This is a roadmap for developers making the transition to Linux.
It is designed to help you take the experience and knowledge that
you already have in computing and redirect it to working in
Linux. As you follow this roadmap, you'll discover many new
resources to help you learn, troubleshoot, and manage Linux.
Step 1. Thinking in Linux:
Step 2. Console crash course:
Step 3. Introduction to Webmin:
Step 4. User administration:
Step 5. Linux logging:

Step 6. Working with file systems:

Step 7. Networking:

Step 8. Backup and recovery:

Step 9. Installing software:

Introduction to Linux: A Hands on Guide:

This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating
System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and
getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a
collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system
and network administration. It contains many real life examples
derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and
network administrator, trainer and consultant.

Linux Tutorials from tuXfiles.org:

These cover the Command Line, the Linux Shell, File Systems and
Directories, X Window System, Linux Software, Tips and Cheat
Sheets, and more.

General Linux, Part 1 - 229 slides teaching GNU and Linux
Commands (611kb):

General Linux, Part 1 - 293 slides teaching Hardware and
Architecture topics (1046kb):

Linux Tutorials by IBM:

Also, Awk, Sed, and Bash tutorials are in this directory:

IP Addressing Basics:

 This page is intended to help students understand the process of
IP addressing and subnets.  Here are more pages here:

IP Classes and Standard Subnet Masks:

IP Subnets and Borrowing Bits:

IP Host Ranges:

Printable IP Subnetting Chart:

Introduction to Network Security:

Introduction to Network Security (Video on Demand):

This course is an introduction to network security. It includes
basic detail on authentication, authorization, cryptography,
firewalls, intrusions detection systems and IPsec virtual
networks (VPNs). This session is meant to prepare the absolute
beginner for the issues they will face when integrating security
technologies into their networks.

Introduction to Routers and LAN Switches:

This session provides the fundamentals of routers and LAN
switches, focusing on Layer 2 and 3. It discusses the hardware
elements of routers and switches including the switch fabric,
application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs), and memory
buffers. This session helps beginner and intermediate networking
professionals better understand how to create ideal network

Visual Basic .NET Resource Kit:

Free Download of Visual Basic .NET Resource Kit. The Visual Basic
.NET Resource Kit is an essential aid for new or experienced
Visual Basic .NET programmers. Programmers who want to get
started creating applications for Windows, Microsoft Office, the
Web, and mobile devices will benefit from this comprehensive
collection of technical information.

Free Windows Training from Only4gurus.com:

Windows Longhorn Training and Learning Materials:

ASP.Net Beginner and Intermediate Training and Learning

VB.Net Beginner and Intermediate Training and Learning Materials:

C# Beginner and Intermediate Training and Learning Materials:

XML related Training and Learning Materials:

3) New Free Computer IT Books, Publications & Book Sites:

Some of these web resources will be added to our Free IT Books
page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/free_computer_books.html and
some will be added to our members site.

Online Books:

Books on this site include these:
  Active Server Pages
  Teach Yourself ActiveX in 21 Days
  Teach Yourself Web Publishing with HTML in 14 days
  Internet Unleashed
  Intranet Unleashed
  Java Developer's Guide
  Teach Yourself JavaScript 1.1
  Teach Yourself TCP/IP in 14 Days
  Using VRML
  Microsoft Visual Interdev
  Teach Yourself SQL in 21 Days
  Teach Yourself Oracle 8 in 21 Days
  Oracle Unleashed
  Teach Yourself Photoshop in 14 Days
  CGI Developer's Guide
  Client/Server Computing
  Unix Unleashed

MCP Library Collection - Volume 1:

This site contains 95 free online books, including these: Perl 5
Unleashed, Oracle Unleashed, Intranets Unleashed. VB Script
Unleashed, Teach Yourself Visual Basic 5 in 24 Hours, Teach
Yourself TCP/IP in 14 Days, Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, Teach
Yourself SQL in 21 Days, Teach Yourself Microsoft Visual InterDev
in 21 Days, JavaScript Manual of Style, and Java Developer's

Open Education Site:

This site offers these free learning materials: Java Tutorial,
JavaScript Reference, HTML 4 Reference, XHTML Reference, XML In
Action, CSS Tutorial, CSS Reference, DTD Tutorial.

The Definitive Guide to Windows 2000 Storage Resource Management:

This is a free eBook about storage resource management (SRM).
  * how to perform a storage analysis of your current environment
  * when to take advantage of features such as quota management
  * an overview of tools used to perform a detailed storage
  * the process of analyzing your current storage environment
  * templates for the types of information that you'll want to

Here are all the Free Definitive Guide eBooks:

JavaScript: The Definitive Guide:

This book includes chapters covering the core of JavaScript,
Client-side JavaScript, a reference chapter, and appendices.

 SQL Server 2000 Books Online (Updated - Service Pack 3):

Download product documentation for SQL Server 2000 that has been
updated for Service Pack 3 (SP3). SQL Server 2000 Books Online
(Updated - SP3) includes the complete documentation that shipped
with SQL Server 2000 plus revisions, corrections, and additions.

4) University Computer Science Course Sites
   Free to Browse and Study:

These web sites will be added to our Free University IT Course
Webs page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat3.html

Dale Craig - Spring 2004 Courses:

Here are courses, with lecture notes, covering the following

  XML Online:

  Visual Studio Notes:

  Web Page Design:

  Advanced Java:

  Visual Basic:

  Advanced Visual Basic:

Dr. Lawrence Schmitt - Fall 2003 Schedule:

Click on the Materials links for handout and slide presentations
for three courses: C++, Systems Analysis, and Operating Systems.

BCO1048 - Introduction to Business Systems Development:

This course provides Powerpoint slides covering the following
  Computer-based information systems
  Information systems development
  Project management
  Approaches to systems development
  Systems analysis
  Investigating systems requirements
  Data Modeling
  Process Modeling
  Modern Structured Analysis

COH204 and COH264 Homepages:

Very well written tutorial notes on Unix, Shell Scripting, and
Networking related topics.

5) The Best Suggested Sites from our Website Users - Every month
we feature the best suggested IT training and tutorial sites from
our website visitors. Here are this month's sites:

Free MCSE, MCDBA, MCP, MCSA, Cisco, Oracle, CompTIA, CIW, Citrix,
Novell Certification study guides, practice tests, and exam

Computer Repair with Diagnostic Flowcharts:

Eight complete computer repair and diagnosing flowcharts
excerpted from the published book, plus a free printable wall
poster for boot failure diagnostics.

Also on this site:

Starting and Running Your Own Computer Business:

This book is a guide for those who have already decided to start
a computer business and are looking for some "been there, done
that" advice, it is intended for the small start-up.

The Object Oriented Programming Web hosts a large collection of
programming and computer science resources: tutorials, lecture
notes and online books. All of these resources are FREE,

6) New Computer & IT Training & Tutorial Link & Resource Sites:

These web sites will be added to our IT Links and Resources page
at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat6.html

Merlot Information Technology Home Page:

Merlot is a free and open resource designed primarily for faculty
and students of higher education. Many web resources to online
learning materials are collected and made freely available here.

LTSN-ICS Subject Resource Guides:

Systems Analysis and Design Notes and Slides:

Programming Notes for Courses and Modules:

Databases Notes and Slides:

Notes and Resources for Java:

Enabling Technologies:

Web Programming Learning Resources:

Programming Learning Resources:

Networking Learning Resources:

Database Learning Resources:

Multimedia Learning Resources:

Mobile E-Commerce Learning Resources:

Data Interchange Learning Resources:

Transaction Processing Learning Resources:

7) I.T. Sites and Free Downloads Worth Mentioning:

The IDA Open Source Migration Guidelines:

The IDA Open Source Migration Guidelines provide practical and
detailed recommendations on how to migrate to Open Source
Software (OSS)-based office applications, calendaring, e-mail and
other standard applications.

Here is the 148 page document:

PcDocRx OnCall:

This Free diagnostic tool is designed to seek out potential
Windows problems on your PC, with simplicity of use in mind. It
performs a series of diagnostic checks to locate file errors or
problems, including all types of software errors, registry
problems, leftovers from incomplete uninstalls and much more.

A free version of this versatile and very functional text editor
is now available for Linux.

8) Question of the Month about Technical Training:

Each month Scott Turton will answer a current or important
question that we have received about computer and IT training and
career development.

January 2004 Question of the Month: Can you find me a good, free
Windows Registry Cleaner utility program to download.

Easy Cleaner provides a number of useful PC maintenance functions
including the removals of invalid entries from your Windows
registry, the identification and removal of duplicate and other
unnecessary files. It is very efficient and speedy to use and
rated as one of the best free registry cleaners available on the
Internet today.

I hope this helps you.

Scott Turton
Web Master and Editor

9) Please Support Our Training Mission

How You Can Support Our IT Training Mission

Please help support Intelligentedu.com's Computer and IT Education and
Training Mission by visiting our sponsors below. By doing so, you
will be helping people who want to learn to use computers in an
Information Technology career.

Newsletter Sponsors:

Please Visit One of Our Sponsors and request more information -
doing this enables us to bring you these great free computer and
IT training resources every month:

University of Phoenix Online: Advance your career:

DeVry: Online degrees for working adults:

University Alliance Schools:
Accelerated degrees and flexible online courses with streaming
video lectures

ITT Technical Institute: Choose from their many programs:

Free to Sell - The Ultimate eBook!
(lowest price on the web)

Learn and then apply the Financing and Investment Techniques used
today to make the best financial and investment decisions
possible. You'll get Free Information and Guides, Learning
Materials, and Online Tools to empower you to deal with those who
do this everyday. We will lead and guide you in your decisions
about Auto Loans and Leases, Home Mortgages and Refinancing,
Stocks, Investments, Insurance, Business Loans, Lenders and

American College of Computer & Information Sciences:
Get the degree you need to advance your career...online at your

Saint Leo University Online:
Accelerated Online Degree Programs: Business and Accounting,
Computer Information, Criminal Justice, Liberal Arts.

Computer Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources

Free I.T. Training Now!

A free and member-based I.T. educational and training portal web
site. We have compiled, categorized, described, and linked many,
many sites that will be of keen interest to computer science
students and instructors and others seeking free training and
knowledge about computers. All areas are covered, from
programming to systems administration to networking to the
internet. You are able to study and learn all about computers and
I.T. via Free training, courses, tutorials, books, guides,
documentation, articles, tips, notes, and help. Also offered are
free technical training tutorials co-branded with
Beginners.uk.co. Check us out today.

Copyright Notice: Please note that all of the items hyperlinked
are copyrighted by their authors and/or publishers. You are
expected to look for, read, and adhere to such notices.
Downloaded and online material is copyrighted whether or not a
copyright notice is present.

*** Intelligentedu.com's Member Site ***

Our Members' Site contains the web's best computer and IT
training resources and tutorials. This content is individually
linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your IT
learning experience. We have done all the web research and
presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your
computer training.

Intelligentedu.com Member Site FAQ Answers:

1. Most of the web sites and pages in our members site are not in
the free section of our web site. The online training resources
in our members' site are linked and laid out in a much more
detailed fashion than those in the free section. This will save
you time in finding all the best free training on the web.

2. You can choose to pay using either Paypal or 2Checkout. If
paying pay check and you live in the U.S., please select

3. You have a choice to select the non-recurring or recurring
method of payment. If you select non-recurring, when your
membership period expires, you will not be automatically charged
another fee on your credit card or check.

4. If you are looking for training and tutorials covering popular
software such as Microsoft Office, Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver,
Web Development, Windows and Computer Hardware, please see our
sister site, http://www.EducationOnlineForComputers.com

The total price to join our member's site is only $15 total for 2
months, $25 for 4 months, $34 for 6 months, or $59 for a whole
year. The funds generated will assist us to help all those
seeking IT education and application development training. Here's
the link to see what's available on our member's site and to sign
up: <http://www.intelligentedu.com/sign-up/index.html>. You can email
Scott Turton with questions at scott_turton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I will give you 8 great Free Bonuses when you sign up now.
These are as follows:
1. A Comprehensive 47-page IT Glossary
2. How To Understand Windows Error Messages program
3. 105 Great Totally Free Utility Programs
4. A Bug Tracking Access
5. The Four Best IT Salary Calculator/Wizard sites
6. 12 Great Web Resources for Learning the Best Methods
    to Study and Take Tests
7. Six Great e-Books (a $120 value) to help you Make Money
    using the Internet
8. Five extra bonus IT resource sites that are the best from
    our "worth mentioning" newsletter section

To Subscribe to this Free monthly Newsletter of Computer
Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank
email to this address:
(You will need to reply to a confirming email.)

Or go to this web page and use the subscribe form:

To Unsubscribe from this Free monthly Newsletter of Computer
Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank
email to this address:
(no need to confirm)

Or go to this web page and use the unsubscribe form:

Thank You!