[intelinfo] April 2001 Computer Education & Training Newsletter

  • From: "Scott Turton" <intel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <intelinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 18:30:30 -0500

           Newsletter for Computer Education,
             Training & Tutorial Resources

           *** ISSUE #8 - April, 2001 ***

               http://www.intelligentedu.com/

     This Newsletter is only sent to its subscribers and
     is available in early May, 2001 on the web at
     http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletter08.html

     Newsletter Archives are here:
     http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletter.html

     Please forward this newsletter to all your friends
     and associates who might be interested!

In This Issue:

1)... Editor's Greeting

2)... The Best New Free I.T. Training & Tutorial Sites

3)... New Free I.T. Books & Book Sites

4)... University Computer Science Course Sites

5)... The Best Suggested Sites from Website Users

6)... New I.T. Training & Tutorial Link Sites

7)... New Desktop and Office Application Training Sites

8)... I.T. Sites Worth Mentioning

9)... Frequently Asked Questions about Technical Training

10)... Please Support Our Computer Training Mission

1) Editor's Greeting:

Welcome to our 8th issue of our free monthly email newsletter for
Computer Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources. We are a non-
profit web site and our mission is the training of those less
fortunate who are seeking to become computer literate, both
technically and from a user's perspective.

If you have any suggestions, ideas, or feedback about this
newsletter, feel free to email us at mailto:intel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx We
appreciate your feedback. Also, please send this to your friends and
colleagues, if you think they would like it. It contains highly
valuable information for anyone who is an I.T. professional or
desiring to become one.

In this issue we describe and link to a total of 64 computer IT
education and learning web sites. By means of this email newsletter,
you have knowledge of and access to these sites before our web site
visitors do.

Latest News:

  - Here is a new free subscription service for computer and
technology newsletters:
    Please sign-up for one of these free newsletters. Our web site
receives 30 cents for everyone who does - these funds enable us to
further help you and everyone else find the best free computer
training and tutorials on the web today.

  - New free classes at Barnes & Noble University start on April 9th,
including 'Introduction to XML' and 'Beginning Flash Web Animation'.
Here is the url: http://www.barnesandnobleuniversity.com/.

  - We are have over 3,000 confirmed subscribers to this newsletter,
and growing by 15-30 new ones every day.

Please help support our IT training mission by visiting any of our
sponsors in this newsletter or on our site at
http://www.intelligentedu.com . Good luck with your computer studies and
learning.

Warm Regards,
Scott Turton
intel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Newsletter Editor and Webmaster
http://www.intelligentedu.com/

2)  The Best New Free I.T. Training & Tutorial Sites:

This section of our newsletter contains the best new free IT
training and tutorial sites that we have found and researched in the
last few weeks. These web sites will be added to our Free IT Courses
and Books page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat1.html and our Free IT
Tutorials and Guides page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat2.html in
the coming weeks.

Here is our next new 'single topic' free training page that we have
added to our web site:

Free Oracle Training:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/free_oracle_training.html

Intel ISP Program On-Line Learning Center:
http://www.intel.com/isp/train/olc.htm

Intel is providing Free training courses for many areas related to
ISP solutions. You can download interactive courses and take
advantage of this free learning center. Courses include: Intel
NetStructure VPN Product Introduction, On-line e-Commerce Product
Course, Caching Essentials, WAN Technologies, WAN Solutions, Intel
LAN Systems, Intel Internetworking Products, Fundamentals of
Ethernet Technology, Fundamentals of Networking Technology,
Introduction to the Pentium III Processor,
Client Server Management Technology, and Technology Essential -
Platform and Integration.

Center for the New Engineer's Tutorial Modules Central:
http://www.cne.gmu.edu/modules/index.html

Free library of internet-accessible tutorial modules in these areas:
Computer Networking, Asynchronous Transfer Mode, Virtual Memory,
Workflow, Distributed Shared Memory, Inter-Process Communication,
Operating System Performance. These modules include interactive
workbenches.

These 2 courses were developed for the New Age Distance Learning
Concept by Professor Douglas Lyon at the University of Bridgeport.
They contain excellent lecture notes that you can use to understand
the concepts:

Java Programming:
http://www.docjava.com/java/javalect/ub/cs410x/cconts.htm
- Covers Java code basics, Data types and flow of control, Objects
and Classes, Methods, Members, Inheritance and Encapsulation, The
Java Standard Library, Interface Methods, Interface Class Types and
Interface Subclassing, Packages, Project organization, Exceptions,
throw, try, and catch, Multi-threading, Synchronization and
Concurrency, Abstract Window Toolkit, Object Hierarchy Reference,
Graphics, using the graphics class,  Sound Processing , Image
Processing.

Advanced Java Programming:
http://www.docjava.com/java/javalect/ub/cs411x/cconts.htm
- Covers streams, digital audio processing, advanced digital audio
processing, digital images, and image processing.

Developing JavaBeans Components:
http://java.sun.com/javaone/javaone98/sessions/T305/

This free training session lays out the JavaBeans component
architecture and describes the aspects that make up the JavaBeans
component specification. It covers the Beans Development Kit (BDK)
software, how to build and interconnect JavaBeans components. It
also gives practical information how to create well behaved beans
components.

Enterprise JavaBeans by Gopalan Suresh Raj:
http://www.execpc.com/~gopalan/java/ejb.html

This site gives you free training material covering "Developing
Entity & Session EJBs, EJB Clients, & EJB Servlet Clients". This is
one of the best and most excellent free EJB training sites I have
ever reviewed. Here is their Advanced Java/J2EE
Tutorial:http://www.execpc.com/~gopalan/java/java_tutorial.html

Free Online IBM Websphere Training:
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/webservers/education.html

Free course titles include:  IBM WebSphere Studio V3.02 Workshop,
IBM WebSphere Application Server V3.02 Development Workshop,
Programming Enterprise JavaBeans Using IBM WebSphere Application
Server V3.02, Introduction to Servlets and IBM WebSphere Application
Server, Introduction to JavaServer Pages, and  Building a Web
Application - HTML/Servlet/JSP.

Also look at IBM's WebSphere InfoCenter to view documentation for a
specific product or technology: http://www-
4.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/doc/v35/ae/infocenter/index.htm

XML Basics:
http://www.softwareag.com/xml/about/starters.htm

This is a good XML starter tutorial, with these topics: Why XML?,The
benefits of XML, XML and the Enterprise database infrastructure
today, The XML Shockwave, The XML backgrounder, Learn XML in 11.5
Minutes. Here are two other pages at this site:

XML Resources:
http://www.softwareag.com/xml/Techn_Links/index.htm

XML Presentations:
http://www.softwareag.com/xml/presentations/default.htm

Motherboard HomeWorld:
http://www.motherboards.org/

Motherboard HomeWorld is a most comprehensive resource web site
about motherboards. They have Free Guides available on this page:
http://www.motherboards.org/guides.html. Here are two of their very
informative free guides:

How to Build a PC:
http://www.motherboards.org/guidesd.html?articleid=21&pagenum=1

How to Install a Motherboard:
http://www.motherboards.org/guidesd.html?articleid=36&pagenum=1

Here's another free course (99 slides) on Building Your Own Personal
Computer available at lecturetech.com:
http://www.lecturetech.com/slideshow.cfm?CourseID=797

ZVON.org Tutorials:
http://www.zvon.org/index.php?nav_id=tutorials&mime=html

Free tutorials are available on this site that show and teach you
XML, CSS, and WML. You can also download the tutorials from this
page:
http://www.zvon.org/index.php?nav_id=downloads&mime=html

C Tutorial:
ftp://ftp.zdnet.com/pub/private/sWlIB/development_tools/windows_devel
opment_tools/ctut.zip

A beginner's guide to programming in the C language. The program
consists of 7 DOC files that each offer a different aspect of
learning this common programming language. The files build upon each
other, and must be read consecutively to be comprehensible. Each
chapter is example based, and by the end of the tutorial, you
compile a Blackjack game.

AmbySoft:
http://www.ambysoft.com/

AmbySoft White Papers and Scott Ambler's Online Writings covering
Object-Oriented development, EJBs, and UML are here:
http://www.ambysoft.com/onlineWritings.html

Here is a free download of their Java Coding Standards document,
with other excellent links to standards and guidelines:
http://www.ambysoft.com/javaCodingStandards.html

ITLearningdirectory.com:
http://www.itlearningdirectory.com/

This site has tons of free (and cost-based) content and resources
for IT training and certification preparation on it. Find their free
stuff by doing this search for the keyword "Free":
http://www.itlearningdirectory.com/search.asp?func=search&tree=0

The Virtual Programming School:
http://learn2program.cjb.net/

This site is offering free courses based on IT books that were once
available on closed sites such as itknowledge.com and mcp.com. Areas
covered include: C++, Java, Internet Game Programming, TCP/IP, SQL,
Javascript, Shockwave, Visual Interdev and Activex.

SimplytheBest:
http://www.simplythebest.net/

This site has lots of useful information, and links to much more.
Here are their better pages:

Programming Shareware:
http://www.simplythebest.net/programs.html

Their Information Library offers you detailed explanations on the
many subjects, giving you free script collections, tips, short
tutorials, and web resources:
http://www.simplythebest.net/info/

This Search for "Tutorial" brings up many pages to choose from:
http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-a=0003064d-sp00000003&sp-
q=tutorial&I3.x=70&I3.y=1

Here are two very good Help Sites where you can ask questions to
real IT experts:

Experts Exchange:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/
- IT Professional Collaboration Network on the Web. They connect you
with other qualified experts, give you access to our ever-growing
KnowledgeBase of IT solutions, and provide fast solutions to your
toughest tech questions.

Askme.com:
http://www1.askme.com/ShowCategory.asp?cid=483
- Technology and the Web at askme.com. They have many categories to
choose from and many experts within each of these categories.

TPG Technologies' IT Articles:
http://www.datatech.com/hot/

These are very informative articles about the many aspects of
technology available today. Each article, written by a TPG
Technologies Instructor in his or her field of expertise, aims to
provide timely and insightful information for professionals involved
with modern technology

Syngress Training Demos:
http://www.syngress.com/Marketing/demo.htm

Certification exam preparation for Cisco, A+, Network+, MCSE, MCSD,
and MCDBA. Their Personal Testing Centers are a unique combination
of exam simulation, reference material, and skills assessment.

Take a Free Course at Headlight.com:
http://www.headlight.com/promo/sign_me_up/1,1315,pl-,00.html

Try one of their courses for free. After you sign up, you'll be able
to see the course immediately and be able to access it as many times
as you want for a month. Courses are: Designing Web Applications,
Novell NetWare 5 Administration - Part 2, Technology Management and
Strategy, Java 2: Introduction to Java 2, and e-Learning -Is e-
Learning right for your company?

ECertifications.com:
http://www.ecertifications.com/

Enhance your skills, stay competitive and make more money by earning
your certification from eCertifications.com. Free registration. Free
certifications in many IT areas.

Certification Study Guides (now called CramNotes):
http://www.certifyexpress.com/studyguides.shtml

For each certification exam, they have taken 300 pages of study
guides and crammed them into 10 - 30 pages of what you need to know
to pass.  Exams covered include Core MCSE, MCSE Electives, MCSD,
Cisco, CompTIA, Novell, Linux/Unix, Certified Internet Webmaster
(CIW), Oracle, and Lotus. Here are two more good pages on this free
training site:

Online Practice Exam:
http://www.certifyexpress.com/practiceexam.shtml
- More than 2000 Free practice exam questions with help from various
professionals, trainers, book publisher, training center and lots
more.

Express Certification Forums:
http://www.certifyexpress.com/cgi-bin/feedback/ultimatebb.cgi
- Need advice for any of the major IT certification exams? Then
check out this forum. They have tons of MCSEs gurus there. Questions
are typically answered in a couple of hours time.

Two Free Practice Sites for Certification Tests:

MSExpert.com:
http://www.msexpert.com/training/Microsoft_Certification_Training.asp

- Free Microsoft Certification Training - hundreds of free practice
questions for 20 exams for MCP, MCSE, MCSD, and MCDBA
certifications.

Free Practice:
http://www.freepractice.com/
- Excellent free practice exams with lots of questions for CompTia
A+, CompTia Network+, and MCSE certifications. Also free downloads,
discussion forums and good links.

The Windows Registry Guide:
http://www.winguides.com/downloads/registry.exe
or
http://www.winguides.com/downloads/registry.zip

This Guide contains tips, tricks & tweaks for optimizing, enhancing
and securing the Windows 95, 98, ME & NT/2000 operating systems, all
packaged in a convenient Windows HTML help file.

Training Content From msdn.microsoft.com:

XML Tutorial:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/tutorial/default.asp
- This tutorial consists of a set of interactive lessons, listed
below, that walk you through typical XML authoring and development
tasks.

XML: Enabling Next-Generation Web Applications:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/articles/xmlwp2.asp
- Good tutorial article about how XML provides a significant advance
in how data is described and exchanged by Web-based applications
using a simple, flexible standards-based format.

XML Workshop:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/c-frame.htm#/xml/index.asp
- Provides information on Microsoft's support of the Extensible
Markup Language (XML)-the universal format for data on the Web.

Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Guided Tour:
http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/technical/tutorial/tour.asp
- This tour provides step-by-step instructions for reviewing many of
the new features of Visual C++ 6.0. As you progress through the tour,
you will develop the Online Educational System of the fictitious
Fitch & Mather company. By the end, you will have a sense for how
professional developers can use Visual C++ 6.0 to productively

Electronic Commerce Cookbook:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/server/commerce/cookbook.asp
- The Planning Stage - Skills: What You Need to Know to Be
Successful, Plan of Action: Design, Development, Deployment, Design:
Developing the Blueprint for What You Hope to Build, Baus Coffee:
Sample Architecture, and Conclusion.

Try out Microsoft Official Curriculum (MOC) courseware:
http://www.microsoft.com/trainingandservices/default.asp?PageID=train
ing&PageCall=sampler&SubSite=moc

Visit the MOC Sampler site for free sample video clips from their
instructor-led courses, including new curriculum for Windows 2000.
In addition, complete HTML-based, self-paced courses are available
for a variety of products.

You can download these free self-paced MOC courses:

Course 1279: Implementing Windows Media Services:
http://www.microsoft.com/trainingandservices/syllabi/syllasearch.asp?
PageID=1279cfinal

Course 1166: A Technical Overview of UNIX and Microsoft Windows NT
Integration:
http://www.microsoft.com/trainingandservices/syllabi/syllasearch.asp?
PageID=enm1166A

Course 1514: Implementing Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Services for
UNIX:
http://www.microsoft.com/trainingandservices/syllabi/syllasearch.asp?
PageID=1514afinal

Course 1555: Getting Ready for Microsoft Windows 2000:
http://www.microsoft.com/trainingandservices/syllabi/syllasearch.asp?
PageID=1555afinal

Macintosh Tutorial:
http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/62c10253abd2be98862566bb005fb
e67/be1a31a422d79195862566b2005eec70?OpenDocument

A training program for new Macintosh users to learn how to use a
Macintosh. It is the replacement for Macintosh Basics and requires
System 7.5 and Apple Guide. You can also sign-up for free for
AppleCare and search their knowledge base, search archived
information in Apple's Tech Info Library (TIL), or visit their
Discussion area. Sign up from this page:
http://kbase.info.apple.com/

3) New Free I.T. Books, Publications & Book Sites.

These web sites will be added to our Free IT Courses and Books page
at http://www.intelligentedu.com/free_computer_books.html

Tutorials and Manuals:
http://cesis.lv/learn/

This site offers Free Books that were once available on closed sites
such as itknowledge.com and mcp.com. Areas covered include: Java
Script, MS Access, Perl, HTML, Delphi, C ++, Visual Basic, Java, CGI,
Perl, Front Page 98, Windows 98, PHP, and Assembler.

Books.iuniverse.com:
http://www.iuniverse.com/marketplace/bookstore/browsesubj.asp?code=CO

The books in the iUniverse.com Computer Books Series are composed of
freely available online computer manuals, industry standard
specifications, and electronically distributed computer programming
guides. They include open documents collections of industry
specifications and standards and a collection of the best open
source documentation on the Web . . . the most complete open source
library available anywhere. You can freely browse all the books,
which are displayed in a graphical format. You cannot jump around
from chapter to chapter, to go directly to a specific page change
the page=# in the url. Here are some of the free books:

Cascading Style Sheets Specification, Level 2:
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=1583482539
- Complete and up-to-date specifications of Cascading Style Sheets,
Level 2 (CSS2) (440 pages).

Apache Web Server Installation and Administration Guide:
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=1583483705
- Complete documentation for installing and administering the Apache
Web server, written by the Apache development team (336 pages).

Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 Specifications:
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=1583482563
- Complete and up-to-date specifications of Extensible Markup
Language (XML) (164 pages).

Extensible Stylesheet Language (XSL) Version 1.0 - W3C Working Draft
27 March 2000:
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=0595132359
- Complete and up-to-date working draft specifications of Extensible
Stylesheet Language (XSL), companion technology for XML (588 pages).

Introduction to Networks and Telecommunications:
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=0595176704
- Combines client-server with data communication principles and
protocol applications to understand how the Web works (160 pages).

Principles of Object-Oriented Programming in Java 1.1
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=1583482180
- This in-depth discussion of how, when, and why to use objects
enables you to create programs that not only work smoothly, but are
easy to maintain and upgrade using Java (396 pages).

Java & Internet Security:
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=0595135005
- Introductory and advanced discussions of the hottest security
technologies for developing and understanding successful e-business
applications (208 pages).

Linux from Scratch:
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=0595137652
- Describes the process of creating your own Linux system from
scratch from an already installed Linux distribution (112 pages).

The No-Nonsense, Straight-to-the-Gut, CCNA 2.0 Study Guide:
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=0595167071
- An easy to use reference guide that will get you closer to passing
the CCNA 2.0 Exam (432 pages).

Object Technology -The New Approach to Application Development:
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=1583485651
- This book is literally Object Technology for the uninitiated
software developer. It breaks down this complex subject into simple,
easy-to-comprehend topics (240 pages).

PHP Manual, Volume 1:
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=0595132278
- The first of a two-part on the popular PHP language (480 pages).

PHP Manual, Volume 2:
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=0595132286
- The second of a two-part on the popular PHP language (524 pages).

Python Tutorial
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=1583483756
- Introduces the reader to the basic concepts and features of the
Python language and system (140 pages).

So You Want to be an Oracle DBA? Second Edition
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=0595174485
- A compact easy to read technical guide that includes over 35 mini
lessons. A must read for every Oracle DBA (176 pages).

Using and Porting the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC)
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=059510035X
- GCC is an integral part of the GNU Project, aiming to improve the
compiler used in the GNU system (556 pages).

Version Management with CVS
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=0595149219
- Details CVS 1.10, an open source application for concurrent
version systems (224 pages).

The Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Java
http://books.iuniverse.com/viewbooks.asp?isbn=1583482172
- Professional Toolkit for Object-Oriented Programming (592 pages).

Windows 2000 Server Deployment and Planning Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win2000/dguide/home.asp

This is one of the volumes of the new Windows 2000 Server Resource
Kit. Sample Chapters from other volumes from the Windows 2000
Professional Resource Kit and the Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit
are available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win2000/reskits.asp

Recommended Approach to Software Development:
http://sel.gsfc.nasa.gov/website/documents/online-doc/81-305new.pdf

This is an excellent 232 page free manual from Nasa. We have used
some of the techniques that are shown in it.

IBM Service and Maintenance Manuals:
http://www-
1.ibm.com/servlet/support/manager?rt=3&rs=0&navkey=1ByProduct&path=Pr
oduct+Group%3DServers

Select the product family, the specific computer and then select
Online Publications.

4) University Computer Science Course Sites.

These web sites will be added to our Free University IT Course Webs
page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat3.html

Computer Science Teaching Material Archive:
http://www.cs.bu.edu/teaching/

This is an archive of electronic material that is useful for
teaching Computer Science courses. Material that is currently in the
archive can be used as part of courses at BU and elsewhere so long
as the source of the material is cited. This is excellent teaching
and learning content, several areas are covered.

Networking Infrastructure for E-Commerce:
http://ecommerce.ncsu.edu/networking/index.html

Today's e-commerce driven economy is driven by networking
infrastructure. What is meant by a networked computing
infrastructure? This course provides students with a working
knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of the infrastructure
underlying networked computing. Nice powerpoint slides are provided.

Data Mining Lecture Notes
http://hake.stanford.edu/~ullman/mining/mining.html

These are very good lecture notes about data mining, along with
assigned readings and resources, all available on the web.

CSCI 701: Computer Programming 3 (C++):
http://www.cis.ysu.edu/~john/701/index.html

This course has good online note covering: Features of C++, Objects
and Classes, Objects and Messages, Encapsulation, Inheritance,
Polymorphism, Containers and Templates, Exception Handling, and
Properties of Classes.

Computer and Network Architecture:
http://fiddle.visc.vt.edu/courses/ecpe5516/lectures.html

Lecture resources (slides etc) covering: foundation, protocol info,
direct link networks, packet & cell switching, internetworking, end-
to-end protocols & data, congestion control, high-speed networking

Internet Application Protocols and Standards:
http://dsv.su.se/jpalme/internet-course/Int-app-prot-kurs.html

The goal of this course is to describe the most common application
layer protocols on the Internet, and to describe the general
principles and methods used in these protocols. Most useful are the
many previous exams with correct answers and the reading section.
Here is a nice a collection of exam questions with links to answers:
http://www.dsv.su.se/~jpalme/internet-course/internet-standards-
exams.html

Two good web resources:

CS Departments Worldwide:
http://triluminary.cs.haverford.edu/department/CS-Departments.html
- A general resource on worldwide academic computer science
departments.

Institutes, Centers, & Laboratories:
http://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/bySubject/Computing/Overview.html#inst
- A worldwide listing of computer science institutes, centers, &
laboratories.

5) The Best Suggested Sites from our Website Users - Every month we
feature the best suggested IT training and tutorial sites from our
website visitors. Here are this month's sites:

Self Help:
http://www.bris.ac.uk/is/selfhelp/

These two pages give you some good free IT training material:

http://www.bris.ac.uk/is/selfhelp/documentation/docs-by-category.htm
- Tutorials by Category, Unix and C Programming Tutorials are
available, along with Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Access and Windows
tutorials.

http://www.bris.ac.uk/is/selfhelp/openlearningcentre/selfpacedlearnin
g.html
- Self-paced learning tutorial notes.

PC Support Advisor:
http://www.pcsupportadvisor.com

Many free networking articles all written by professionals. How-to
guides, explanatory articles and full length tutorials on topics
such as the OSI Model, TCP/IP, IPv6, NDS, DHCP, NAT, Frame Relay,
RAID, Troubleshooting Routers, and Setting up Mail Servers. A great
free reference site for networking staff and MCSE/MCNE students and
anyone interested in networking. New articles are added weekly.

Study Guides for Nortel Certification:
http://www.nortelfaq.com/misc/study.htm

Study guides with questions and answers for these two Nortel
certification exams: Routing Core Technology (V12.0) and Using the
Accelar 1000 (V2.0).

Computer Classes:
http://compuhelpbasic.homestead.com/class.html

Free beginner computer classes, you need to email them and they will
tell you when the class will start.

2000Exams:
http://www.2000exams.com

A brand-new site that will help to prepare you for your Windows 2000
MCSE exams. All the exams on 2000Exams.com are 100% free.

Javaranch.com:
http://www.javaranch.com

This site offers a free java course and also links to java online
courses offered for free and also at low cost. This page has good
java resources and tutorials:
http://www.javaranch.com/maha/Resources/resources.html

6) New Computer & IT Training & Tutorial Link & Resource Sites.

These web sites will be added to our IT Links and Resources page at
http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat6.html

TheTutorial.com:
http://www.thetutorial.com/

A tutorial link and resource site for webmasters offering free
resources on web graphics, CGI scripts, Java Scripts, site promotion,
sounds, fonts; and free tutorials on HTML, DHTML, Java, Java Script,
CGI, PERL, C, and C++.

Software Engineering Resources:
http://www.uact.edu/swelinks.htm

Links to resources and tutorials in these topics: Visual Basic,
Access, C++, HTML, Java, Javascript, SQL Server, Unix, and Windows
NT.

ByteMe.nl
http://www.byteme.nl/

Excellent meta search engine, link, and resource site, click on the
'Development' link in the left column under Categories. It has
categorized references to websites, articles and documentation.

Two search result pages from Links2go.com:

Links and topics related to Software and Documentation:
http://www.links2go.com/search?search=Software+and+Documentation

Tutorial Links:
http://www.links2go.com/search?search=tutorials&x=11&y=18

The Educational CyberPlayGround:
http://www.cyberplayground.net/Technology/apps.html

Tutorial Links in many areas, the meta tag says "Start here to learn
how to use the Internet and Technology, for educators, professional
development, and teachers who use technology."

Top Ranking Certification Preparation & Brain Dump Sites from
MCSEGuide.com:
http://www.mcseguide.com/rank/index.html

7) New Desktop and Office Application Training Sites.

These web sites will be added to of Free Office and Desktop Training
page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/office.html . Also, check out our
new MS Office 2000 Free Training page here:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/office_2000.html

Streamedinfo.com:
http://www.streamedinfo.com/

Sign up for free and access their Free streaming and html training
tutorials in these categories:

 - Adobe Applications - currently offers courses in Adobe InDesign
and Graphics Conversion using Photoshop.
 - Corel Suite - spreadsheets, presentation graphics and also word
processing in this category of courses.
 - Lotus Applications - beginner to advanced level word processing,
spreadsheet and presentation applications.
 - Microsoft 2000 Applications - Beginner to advanced level word
processing, spreadsheet, scheduling, presentation and database
applications are covered in the Microsoft Office suite.
 - Microsoft 97/98 Applications - Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint,
Outlook training tutorials.
 - Operating Systems - Beginner to advanced level instruction on the
Windows Operating System is currently available. COMING SOON: Look
for UNIX and LINUX courses.

Free Training from unt.edu (pdf format):

Introduction to Microsoft Word 2000:
http://www.unt.edu/training/Office2000/word2000.pdf

Introduction to Microsoft Excel 2000:
http://www.unt.edu/training/Office2000/Excel2000.pdf

Creating a Slide Show with PowerPoint 2000:
http://www.unt.edu/training/Office2000/PPT2000Show.PDF

Computersoftomorrow.com E-Book Tutorials:

Word97 Tutorial (392kb):
http://e-book.hypermart.net/download/CTT_Word.exe

Excel97 Tutorial (331kb):
http://e-book.hypermart.net/download/CTT_Excel.exe

Access97 Tutorial (425kb):
http://e-book.hypermart.net/download/CTT_Access.exe

Course Documentation:
http://calpact.berkeley.edu/document.html

Documentation for using Access 2000, Excel 2000, Word 2000,
Powerpoint 2000, also HTML, Intro to Windows 95/NT, Intro to
Internet, Computer Basics, and Keyboard Shortcuts.

>From Microsoft.com:

Access development tips:
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/gomscom.asp?target=/accessdev/a-
tips.htm

Free downloads and stuff for MS Access:
http://www.microsoft.com/accessdev/a-free.htm

Outlook tips:
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/gomscom.asp?target=/outlookdev/ol-
tips.htm

Word Tips:
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/gomscom.asp?target=/Worddev/w-
tips.htm

Word Free Stuff:
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/gomscom.asp?target=/Worddev/w-
free.htm

Excel Tips:
http://www.microsoft.com/exceldev/e-tips.htm

8) I.T. Sites Worth Mentioning:

DevSearcher.com, The Programmer's Search Engine:
http://www.devsearcher.com/

DevSearcher.com is a search engine dedicated to programmers and
programming.  Our huge database contains everything from Algorithms
to ZX81 development and everything in between. Try searching for
terms like 'free', 'tutorial', etc. You'll get a lot of sites to
choose from and visit.

ChipCenter Knowledge Center:
http://www.chipcenter.com/kc/

News, products, articles and resources for many technical areas
relating to chips.

McGraw Hill's Online Encyclopedia of Science & Technology:
http://www.accessscience.com/server-
java/Arknoid/science/AS/Topic/COMP

This is their Computing & Information Technology Page. Register for
a free 4 week trial here:
http://www.accessscience.com/FreeTrial/free_frame.html

Java Compilers and VMs:
http://www.mathtools.net/Java/Compilers
http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmidt.geo/java.html

Both of these sites give you a list of compilers and Virtual
Machines for the Java programming language, including short
descriptions, supported platform and Java version. Includes native
compilers (to convert class files to executables) as well.

IBM Terminology:
http://www-3.ibm.com/ibm/terminology/

This Web site consolidates several of the main glossaries created
for IBM products in one convenient location. Areas covered are:
Glossary of Computing Terms, AS/400, AIX Glossary, DB2, CICS, DCE,
and Tivoli.

Free Site Tools:
http://www.freesitetools.com/

A webmaster's free site to help build, promote and maintain
websites. Free Java, clipart, editors, DHTML, animation, websites,
perl, mp3s, CGI, logos, online tools, XML, visual basic, VRML,
banners, wavs, promotion, ASP, fonts, midi and much more. 1300+
Webmaster Tools.

9) Frequently Asked Questions about Technical Training:

Each month Scott Turton will answer one of the frequently asked
questions we receive about computer and technical training and
career development. They will be archived on a separate FAQ page on
our website after several months.

April 2001 FAQ:

I would like to pursue a career in technology and have no experience
in Information Technology. I am currently learning Java and plan to
take up XML. How should I proceed preparing myself for a technology
career?

Answer:

You may have to start you career in some area such as software
testing, call center help support technician, or networking or
hardware technician trainee. That's ok, what you need to do is get
your foot in the door and start working in an IT environment. You
should really consider earning an undergraduate (2 or 4 year) IT
degree, because this will help your career greatly in the long run,
giving you more options and opportunities for responsibility. Also,
you should consider getting certified, such as the A+, Network+,
MCSE, or Sun Java Programmer certifications.

Here are some things you can do to help yourself get into the IT
field and to gain some experience:

You can look for volunteer opportunities to assist in
computerization efforts. There are many organizations that could use
volunteer help, such as local area schools, churches, community
centers, nonprofits, service and civic organizations, and other
community groups.

Search for an internship. Many companies offer candidates an
opportunity to work as interns while they are studying the
technology. This is a great way to get experience while you learn so
check into internship programs at companies that you have an
interest in working for. Here are some job internship sites:
<http://www.intelligentedu.com/jobs.html#grads>.

Learn HTML - Knowledge of the Web is quickly becoming a key skill
for technology professionals, whether they work in tech support or
as a database architect. Learning HTML, the language used to display
Web pages, is a first step in becoming Web savvy. (Check out
http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat1.html and page down once or twice for
the best free html and web design courses on the web.) Then publish
some web sites you can show to an interviewer that illustrate your
skills.

Read Computer Books - Visit your local bookstore, and then head to
the shelves with computer books. If it's a megastore, you'll find
hundreds of books, many with obscure titles and topics. Simply
perusing books about the industry and specific topics (like
programming and networking) will help you explore the variety of
jobs the technology field.

Write a Program - Programming and application development is an
essential task for technology pros. Scores of languages exist: C++,
Java, Visual Basic and lots more. Learning to program with
JavaScript is a relatively quick way to get started with programming,
as you're able to program with nothing more than a Web browser, a
word processing program and the help of a free tutorial (look at the
Site Navigation by Topic table on my home page at
http://www.intelligentedu.com#navigation for free courses and tutorials
in C/C++/Java/Javascript and others). You can put your application a
floppy, a Zip drive, or your laptop to bring to an interview to
demonstrate your skill.

Enroll in a Workshop - Community colleges, universities and
technology training centers often offer weekend or evening workshops
with entry-level instruction in programming, Web development and
networking.

Build a Web Site - Forget about those automated homepage builders.
Instead, use your knowledge of HTML and JavaScript as a way to
display your prowess with Web technologies. Experiment. Have fun.
And focus on useful tools, rather than glitzy graphics.

Talk to Technology Professionals - People working in the "trenches"
of the industry can provide lots of guidance to people getting
started. Ask friends and colleagues for contacts in the industry.
Schedule short phone conversations or meetings geared toward asking
questions about technology careers. What do they do in a typical
day? What skills do they need to know? What advice do they have for
newbies like you? You can also check out Monster's Job Q&As to get a
sense of what technology pros do at their jobs.

I suggest for you to go to a computer users group and ask about the
local schools, local hiring trends, which companies are hiring,
which non-profits need volunteers, etc. Ask around at the user group
meetings and try to meet as many people as you can who are
experienced in the areas you want to learn and become experienced
in. Maybe you can also find a mentor at one of the user groups.

You can find computer user groups in your local area at these 2
sites:

http://bbs.apcug.org/database/loclist.asp - This is the Association
of Personal Computer User Groups home page.
http://easyrsvp.com/ugotw/ - User Groups on the Web.

I hope this helps you.
intelinfo - Scott Turton
Computer Education, Training & Tutorial Resources
http://www.intelligentedu.com

10) Please Support Our Training Mission:

http://www.intelligentedu.com/support.html

How You Can Support Our IT Training Mission

By purchasing quality products through the links on the
http://www.intelligentedu.com/support.html page on our Non-Profit
Computer Education, Training & Tutorial Web Site you can help
support our IT Training Mission. When you purchase products there
and also click on the advertising links on our site and in this free
newsletter, you will be helping people who want to learn to use
computers in an Information Technology career. All profits are
placed directly into a special education fund which helps offset the
costs of training people about computer application development and
teaching them how to become developers, technical specialists,
system administrators, and computer users.

$25. Whether you are new to the CCNA course material or just need a
quick refresher a week or two before the exam, Techmindworks has a
plan that's right for you. Try their FREE evaluation today and
consider signing up for one of the above access options.

Get $20 - Apply for the Discover Platinum Card!
http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/discover_card.html

Right now, you can get $20 with approval for the Discover Platinum
Card and make a purchase, balance transfer or cash advance. This
premier card gives you: 0% Introductory APR, No Annual Fee, Up to 2%
Cashback Bonus award, Up to $50,000 credit line, 100% On-line Fraud
Protection. So, what are you waiting for? Click below to apply for
your Discover Platinum Card. Get approved and make a purchase,
balance transfer or cash advance. You'll get these great features
and $20 from Free2Try.com.

Surf the Web worry-free With Pagoo Call Catcher
http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/pagoo_call_catcher.html

Get instant notification right on your desktop of incoming phone
calls. Get a personal Internet Voice Mailbox. Play back your voice
messages on your PC without disconnecting from the Internet. Save
unlimited voice messages, organize them just like email. Download it
today FREE.

GOLD CLUB:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/gold_club.html

Do you want to join a networking club that builds your downline for
Free while you do nothing?
That is what this club offers you.

Yes, read it again:
No Advertising! No Calling!
No Meetings! No Product Selling!
No Mailing! No Recruiting of People!
No Need to Talk Your Friends into It!
No Time Required!

No Obligations
(Except to join the program when asked)
Your May Join or Leave Whenever You Want!

Click here to learn more!
http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/gold_club.html

Choose any Star Wars Book for FREE!
http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/star_wars_books.html

Plus when you receive your FREE book you get to choose 5 more for
just $1! Don't miss out on this offer, signup today.

GoingPlatinum.com - It's your internet, profit from it.
http://www.goingplatinum.com/member/intelinfo

Get FREE ISP service with No banners or bars! Join a new cooperative
online community that PAYS YOU. Join GoingPlatinum today and click
here:
http://www.goingplatinum.com/member/intelinfo

Computer Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources:

http://www.intelligentedu.com/
Free I.T. Training Now! - Free Training Courses available
immediately:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/freecourses.html?cobrand=intelinfo

A new, free, non-profit I.T. educational and training portal web
site. We have compiled, categorized, described, and linked over 1250
sites that will be of keen interest to computer science students and
instructors and others seeking free training and knowledge about
computers. All areas are covered, from programming to systems
administration to networking to the internet. Visitors can learn and
study for free how to program in Java, how to develop and maintain a
simple or complex website, how to network an intranet, how to use MS
Excel or FrontPage and many more computer related learning
activities. They are able to study and learn all about computers and
I.T. via Free training, courses, tutorials, books, guides,
documentation, articles, tips, notes, and help. Also offered are
free technical and user training courses co-branded with
Freeskills.com. Check us out today.

of Computer Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources
simply send a blank email to this address:
mailto:intelinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

or go to this web page:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletr_sub_unsub.html

To Unsubscribe from this Free monthly Newsletter
mailto:intel@xxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Remove

or go to this web page:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletr_sub_unsub.html

Thank You!