[imiaoswg] Re: Portal software

  • From: Robin Carriere <rscarriere@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: imiaoswg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:58:53 -0400

I agree with Tim.  For something like a content management / portal
software a database is a better choice.   A few that have caught my eye
lately are Drupal and Tikiwiki.  I like using PHP/MySQL so I'm a bit
biased, but the only concern I have with using plone is the fact that
zope, the underlying architecture of plone, isn't supported by most
mainstream hosting companies. (if where and how it is hosted is a
concern).  I've tinkered a bit with plone and it was nice.  I ended up
going back to php based apps because I had more experience playing with
php.

Tim, can you comment - I'm not familiar with the db backend used in
zope.    It is an object oriented DB?   How easy/hard is it to retrieve
data from the DB?  Are there interfaces available to get a the data
easily (I'm thinking along the lines of interfaces to accomplish this -
ie. phpMyAdmin, Mysql GUI).  I couldn't find anything when I was playing
with Plone.   While I probably would rarely use direct access for
anything - I like looking at how tables, etc are designed to get a
better idea of how the system works.

Robin