[ilug-cal-website] Re: Routing at the provider needs to be optimized

  • From: Ashwin Mansinghka <ashwin_man@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilug-cal-website@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 07:49:46 -0700 (PDT)

Surendra Singhi wrote:
> Hi Ashwin,
>   My earlier reply on this bounced. So I am
reposting

> Ashwin Mansinghka <ashwin_man@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Please see the traceroute attached...... from my
>> machine on a BSNL -
>> Dataone connectivity to www.ilug-cal.info.
>>
>> Points to be noted....
>> 3. This extraordinary routing (due to ISP end
>> misconfigurations)
>> increases the delay from approx. 70 ms to 100 ms.
>>
>> We need to check (with the ISPs) in spite of both
the
>> ISPs being
>> connected to NIXI at Kolkata, why such routing is
>> taking place, after
>> all it is us the users who are paying for it as
well
>> as suffering.
>>

> Sure, please go ahead and investigate, its
appreciated.

Surely, there are 2 ways of doing it. Hold the thread
at each end and
ask the respective ISPs to clean up the routing.

I have approached BSNL a number of times not only for
this specific
instance but for many such routing mistakes in the
past too. Now remains
the question of approaching VSNL for website end (as
DPS is the
customer). Is there someone from DPS who can take up
the issue with
VSNL. He / she can be advised accordingly by the
ilug-cal-website
advisors / admins.
> Btw, do you(or anyone else) know anything about
reverse  domain name mapping,
> and how to go about it?

Assuming this probing is based on the need of
providing e-mail services
hosted on DPS server for the ilug-cal.info domain.

If it is so, then yes, we can start a new thread to
discuss the issues /
implications and cost and benefit analysis related to
self hosted email
services and as part of it we also discuss and solve
this issue
(actually getting the reverse domain mapping in place
is too simple an
issue), the larger issue is how a full fledged email
service will affect
the overall performance of the resources generously
provided by JPM for
a noble cause. Whenever, we plan a new service on the
same resource we
need to first do a little feasibility and benefit
analysis / planning
about it. What do you say ? Shall we start a thread on
the subject ?

with Regards,
ASHWIN

http://mail.yahoo.com