[ilssa] roadtrip wrap up thoughts

  • From: april llewellyn <aprilhl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilssa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:17:24 -0500

Hi everyone!

What a long (dare I say strange?) trip it has been, and it is good to be
home!  In case ya missed it, I now have all posts up about the various stops
on my trip <http://aprilhl.net/roadtrip/>:

*June 29th*: Chicago, IL to Grand Rapids, MI (Matt’s hometown)
*July 1st*: Saugatuck, MI: Ox Bow open
studios<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/our-visit-to-ox-bow/>,
then back to Grand Rapids
*July 5th*: Ann Arbor, MI:
Hollander’s<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/on-the-road-again-2//>
,
and then to Detroit, MI & lots of places and people: community
gardens<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/detroit-pt-two/>,
the Heidelberg project <http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/detroit-pt-three/>, Dabl’s
African Beads and Theatre Bizarre<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/detroit-pt-four/>,
Lynne Avadenka and Francine Levine<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/detroit-pt-five/>
.
*July 7th*: Cleveland, OH: The Morgan
Conservatory<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/cleveland-and-the-morgan-conservatory/>
*July 8th/9th*: Rochester, NY: Genesee Center for the
Arts<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/rochester-ny-and-the-genesee-center-for-the-arts/>(with
stop over to Niagara Falls<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/break-time-niagara-falls/>
!)
*July 10th*: Aurora, NY: Well College Book Arts
Center<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/wells-college/>Summer Intensive
*July 11th*: Treadwell, NY: Bright Hill Press and Literary
Center<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/bright-hill-press-literary-center-treadwell-ny/>
*July 12th*: Rosendale, NY: Women’s Studio
Workshop<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/womens-studio-workshop/>
*July 13th*: Montgomery, NY:
Pergamena<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/pergamena-parchment-montgomery-ny/>),
then a visit to Salem, NY & Ed
Hutchins<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/ed-hutchins-ny-state/>
*July 14th*: Salem, NY to Northampton, MA: Steve Daiber/Red Trillium
Press<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/red-trillium-press/>,
then to Boston, MA
*July 15th*: Boston, MA: Julie Shaw Lutts
<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/julie-shaw-lutts-artist-and-hostess/>(hostess/book
artist!) and the Boston Paper
Collective<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/boston-paper-collective/>
*July 16th*: New York City, NY: Dieu Donne, Mimi
Schaer<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/mimi-schaer-book-mistress-extraordinaire/>,
The Center for Book
Arts<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/the-center-for-book-arts-nyc/>,
and other fabulous places!
*July 19th*: Princeton, NJ: Judy Tobie
<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/judy-tobie-hostess-and-papermaker/>
*July 20th*: Silver Springs, MD: Pyramid
Atlantic<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/pyramid-atlantic-and-d-c/>
*July 21st*: Washington D.C.
*July 23rd*: Roanoke, VA (with a big thanks to Erim
Wommack<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/roanoke-va-and-a-big-thanks-to-erin-wommack/>
)
*July 24th*: Asheville, NC: Oakmother’s Papers of
Intent<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/oakmothers-papers-of-intent-hendersonville-nc/>and
Asheville
Book Works <http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/asheville-book-works/>
*July 26th*: Blue Ridge Mountains: Penland<http://aprilhl.net/2011/08/penland/>
*July 27th*: Atlanta, GA: My grandparents and the Georgia Tech Paper
Museum<http://aprilhl.net/2011/07/robert-c-williams-paper-museumdard-hunter-collection/>
*July 28th*: Gordo and Tuscaloosa, AL: Glenn
House<http://aprilhl.net/2011/08/glenn-house-gordo-al/>and the
University of Alabama Book Arts
program<http://aprilhl.net/2011/08/steve-miller-the-university-of-alabama-tuscaloosa-al/>
*July 29th*: Huntsville, AL: my hometown and Green Pea
Press<http://aprilhl.net/2011/08/last-but-not-least-green-pea-press-huntsville-al/>
*July 31st*: back to Chicago,
IL<http://aprilhl.net/2011/08/trip-wrap-up-other-thoughts/>

The last post is a trip-wrap-up-thoughts post, but I'll say it now: in
short, y'all completely blew me away.  I don't know how else to describe
it--I hit the road to look for the intersections of making, giving, and
community on this trip and I certainly found a group of generous and
knowledgeable people with lots of advice and ideas on this!

My next step is making gifts -- tokens of repayment and connection -- for
everyone that participated.  If you contacted me, suggested something, gave
us a tour, hosted us, etc, you should be hearing from me in just a few days
to collect your address & follow up with you.  If not, please feel free to
contact me!  I have hundreds of emails to sort through, and while I've got a
pretty extensive spreadsheet with the info, I'm not perfect.  The next
logical step after that is, of course, a book, but since that's a thesis
project, there's a lot to be solidified in that yet.

Anyway.  Again:  thank you so much.  As I heard time and time again, this
community is just chock-full of good folks!

all my best,
 ~april hannah llewellyn (aprilhl)

www.aprilhl.net | 256-777-3912