[ilssa] hi everyone! my book and paper arts research roadtrip is about to begin

  • From: april llewellyn <aprilhl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilssa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:23:27 -0500

   As a reminder, I'm soon undertaking a five-week roadtrip to visit arts
centers (mainly book and paper) in the midwest, east coast, and part of the
south.  I'll be talking to people about these places and their thoughts on
the intersections of art/craft/making, gifting, and community building.  In
return for the generous assistance needed for this project, I'll be making
gifts for everyone who participates.   This trip, and the subsequent
gifting, is the beginning of my thesis research for my MFA in
Interdisciplinary Book and Paper Arts at Columbia College Chicago.

My partner Matt is coming along for the ride, and I'm trying to finalize our
travel plans now.  We leave June 29th and will be gone through August 1st
(roughly).  You can see the entire list of cities as it's updated through
www.aprilhl.net/roadtrip.

I'm in the midst of recontacting anyone who offered us a tour or hosting to
try to finalize our travel plans.  (and boy, are there a BUNCH of you in the
Northeast!)
if I have not contacted you yet one way or the other, I will soon be doing
so -- I wanted to firm up the first part of the trip before moving on to
other places we are visiting.
I'm erring a bit on the side of overplanning, so if for some reason we can't
take you up on your earlier offer, we understand (though, if we can see you,
we'd still love to!)

I did want to give an update though, on funding -- Kickstarter doesn't
accept travel proposals, and as such, I'm starting with my own
donations/rewards through Paypal.  Every donation helps -- at this point,
I'm estimating costs to run over $1750, and when you're a grad student,
every little bit helps!  I'm accepting donations of any amount, but I have
gifts&rewards from $5 and up!  You can donate directly through this
link<https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=3T8ZXKTN22WB4>,
or see more about the gifts&rewards on my main project site at
www.aprilhl.net/roadtrip .

*I'm leaving in a week*, so all donations before the start of the trip (so I
can gauge interest) would be the most helpful, but you are certainly welcome
to donate through the end of the trip!  However, if you want a postcard from
a specific city, I need your info ASAP!
I'm starting to letterpress commemorative postcards today, which will be
sent out on the trip, and then all other gifts&rewards will be sent after we
get back on August 1st.

Otherwise, I don't want to super spam the group, but you'll be able to read
all the updates to the trip on my website, www.aprilhl.net, and I also
madea small facebook
page<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roadtrip-Extravaganza/231896376836196?sk=wall>that
will also be getting updates, if that is your preferred way of contact
(it is easier for some things!)

thank you all so much for your generous suggestions and advice.  this trip
wouldn't be possible without the support of people like you!

all the best,

~april hannah llewellyn (aprilhl)

www.aprilhl.net | 256-777-3912
      www.aprilhl.net/roadtrip