[iee_comp_london] Re: Fwd: Linux News

  • From: Alan Ferdman <alan.ferdman@xxxxxxx>
  • To: iee_comp_london@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:03:07 +0000

Hello Edward,
I've just bought myself the current copy of Linux User. It's got a full
copy of Lindows OS4.5 included on the cover CD . Any experience ?

I tried installing over my Mandrake distribution. But unfortunately it's
failed two install. Rsync error message. The machine is under specified at
only 500MHz. Lindows say 800 minimum albeit I assume that's for performance
as distinct from the ability to install or not. Still it's an old
motherboard. So I'm currently in the process of upgrading to a new PC Chips
motherboard with AMD1800 athlon. About £85 from ebuyer including RAM and
heatsink. Hopefully any error messages should go away if there as a result
of old hardware/speed issues! Basically the machine was too slow with
Mandrake to make it appealing to sit at and play. As I understand it
Lindows incorporates Wine, hence my interest in running. I'll let you know
how I get on.

Best Regards,

Tel     020 8541 1226
Fax     07020 971256