[PCB_FORUM] workflow tutorial

  • From: Samuel Kuo <samooer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:54:32 -0600

Hi all,

I've been suscribed to this forum for quitesome time now, and it is
good to see that this is such a helpful community on the web.

I am an MSEE student at UIUC learning to use the cadence allegro
platform for SI-aware design, which is part of my master's thesis.  (I
use version 15.0).

In the last few months I have been just following some online
tutorials to get a sense of the software suite. As far as I know a
typical workflow is something like:

1) schematic/simulation
2) pcb layout
3) signal integrity analysis on pcb
4) loop back as needed

1) I started with OrCad Capture CIS 10 for schematic layout.
Simulation was easy.  But as I tried to import a simple 3 bit ADC into
Allegro to attempt a simple PCB layout, I had netlisting problems. 2)
I gave up, so I tried just working on pcb layout itself, getting a
little bit of experience in placement and routing AND gate 74_
packages.  3) Having a better sense of allegro for layout itself, i
tried some SI analysis by following a simple driver to receiver
interconnct tutorial at specctraquest.com (now gone i think) which
used SigXplorer.

Anyhow looking back, I'm not so sure what I've learned.  I still
cannot complete the transistion between 1) => 2).  Nor do I have a
good sense of what to do in completing 2) => 3).

Any guidance/advice/tutorials would be much appreciated.  I just want
to complete a simple design loop.

Regards,
Samuel Kuo