[PCB_FORUM] Re: new board

  • From: Andy_Kulik@xxxxxxx
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:44:56 -0500

Sam,

we went through this exercise earlier this year. We had the same problem.
We ended up creating a dummy 3rd party netlist with "THEIR" footprints,
imported the netlist and placed the parts.
Then export the placement and generate dxf files containing info such as
pins, assy top, silk etc.
Open a new board, make sure you point to your library and import the
netlist and placement file. Then import the
dxf file you generated.

This will allow you to overlay the components and see which ones are
different. Grab a MFG-EE and
seperate the good and the bad.

Hope this helps

Andy

SjChar3@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by:
11/16/2004 10:55 AM
Please respond to
icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[PCB_FORUM] Re: new board

william
For now I've exported their libraries into local directory and will start
from there, since I'm told it needs to be done soon. Eventually we will
rename their parts and enter them into our database. We have four sites
and someone doesn't want to play by our rules, or maybe its the other way
around (power struggle).
Sam

"Handley, William" <william.handley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Sam,
>Be careful what you do.
>Swapping out there footprints for yours can cause more pain than you
>expect. If there are rotation differences, or even slight variations in
>pad sizes you may end up with tons of DRC's.
>
>Also, if you are using the same schematic, I would think that the
>footprint info is already there (in the schematic) and to swap with your
>library name may be more effort than it is worth.  Is there something
>wrong with their footprints?
>
>If it isn't broke don't fix it.
>
>Bill
>
>Bill Handley CID+
>Sr. CAD eng.
>Intel Corp.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at
http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.