[PCB_FORUM] Re: high speed board material.

Hi

Yeah, similar - we run up to 3.125GHz at the moment.  The biggest thing
we have to worry about is loss and skin effect.

Are you sure the edge rate is 9ns?  That's huge.  For  PCI it probably
should be ~ 200-300 ps or so, at a guess, depending on the chip
technology.

Cadence put put GHz simulation tools, but they are expensive.

Cheers,
Richard

>>> austin@xxxxxxxxxxxx 19/02/2005 11:49:32 a.m. >>>
Hi,

FR-4 is fine for your specs below.  I have FR-4 boards that run
Infiniband
4x (2.5GHz x 4 signal lanes), and no problem.  That's the highest I've
gone
on FR-4.  I do suggest you do simulation though, and you pay careful
attention to routing rules.

BTW, 1GHz better have better than a 9ns edge rate, or you won't get
any
signal ;-)

Austin

http://www.freelists.org. Our list name is icu-pcb-forum
or go to http://www.freelists.org/archives/icu-pcb-forum/

Problems or Questions:

POST:       icu-jobs-forum@xxxxxxxxxx

notify Allied Telesyn Research Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesyn Research.