[PCB_FORUM] Re: New high-speed router

  • From: "Bob Mankin" <Bob@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:52:59 -0800

Austin,

Cadence did a dog and pony on the new v16 router at CDN Live in Sept.
True to form for a demo, it was dumbed down a bit from a real world
design problem, but it was still a reasonable example from my
perspective.

The features they are bringing with this new version do seem to be more
in tune with today's technology and design constraints. High pincount
BGAs, repetitive I/Os and lots of differentials. It's become primarily a
manual routing effort, with very little autorouting on the back end.

I've been a Specctra user since '92 in the days when we occasionally saw
John Cooper float through the shop for a visit. I've watched while the
effectiveness of the router has diminished drastically to where we use
it for less than 20% non-critical signals on most of our designs. I'm
hoping these new features work as advertised and we get some renewed
productivity from the toolset.

Bob

Bob Mankin
cadPROS PCB Design Experts, Inc.