[PCB_FORUM] Re: MatrixOne vs. Allegro PCB Design Workbench

  • From: Gary Carter <gary.carter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:33:46 -0600

Mike,

We have been a Cadence user for 14 years and an Enterprise MatrixOne user for 3 years. MatrixOne was selected as the successor to our legacy Product Data Management system. Integrating Cadence to Matrix was simply a concept in our PLM strategy when the two companies announced a partnership had been formed a little over a year ago. This caught our attention as you might imagine and we approached both companies in an effort to understand what was being offerred.

You state:

"I am trying to understand that the value of going with MatrixOne standalone vs. the joint MatrixOne/Cadence solution."

Depending on your end goal, you might find they are complimentary solutions. This depends on whether you are embracing the total Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) challenge, or simply looking for a solution to manage your electrical design discipline.

We recently conducted a fairly extensive evaluation using the Allegro Design Workbench product and believe we understand the value it provides us - essentially a complete work-in-progress (WIP) data management solution for the Cadence library and design data (i.e. Librarian Expert, ConceptHDL & Allegro Expert), as well as a configurable design process management solution, pretty much right out-of-the-box. As delivered Electrical designers don't really see Matrix or even know it is there - Cadence has provided thier own UI that can be configured to guide users through the company approved flow (including the ability to include 3rd party point tools in the flow) and excercising as little or as much control as you deem appropriate.

Cadence Design makes use of two pieces of MatrixOne technology to provide its core Design Workbench capabilities. The first is a subset of Engineering Central functionality for work-in-progress design data/process management. Second, if you want or need it, is Collaboration Central which provides a means of collaborating with partners and/or suppliers inside and/or outside your enterprise. In our case this facilitates the ability to share design information with external fabrication suppliers and internal procurement, manufacturing, test, etc.much earlier in the design process.

Cadence has provided all the necessary hooks to manage the Cadence ECAD-specific schema and dependencies. Though I suppose one could attempt to re-create this I would ask "Why would you want to?". With every new release of the Cadence tools you would find yourself having to regress this home-grown solution and reverse-engineer any changes Cadence might introduce in the core CAD tools (Believe me we know - we've been doing this very thing over the past 8 years - a non-trivial effort with significant cost-of-ownership.) Our preference is for Cadence to own that responsibility and let us focus our efforts on streamlining our product development process at a much higher level.

We are now implementing in two geographically separated design centers that share product development responsibility. At the ECAD discipline level we have the Cadence Design Workbench product that manages work-in-progress design data/process using the joint solution (the "integration"). At the appropriate milestones we produce our requisite set of product deliverables (i.e. BOMs, design/manufacturing data & documentation), qualify them and then pass them to our "core vault" (managed by MatrixOne). We're also performing a very similar integration between our MCAD (Pro/Engineer) and MatrixOne environments and our long term strategy also includes an integration to ClearCase for our Software content including embedded firmware. At the enterprise level we use the full functionality of MatrixOne's "Central" products for implementation of higher level business processes, i.e. top-level configuration management (inclusive of Electrical, Mechanical, Software and supporting technical documentation), release management, engineering change management, etc., to manage and disposition this intellectual property over the entire life of the product.

I'd be happy to share more detail if you are interested. I would also suggest you consider attending the MatrixOne Global Customer Conference (GCC 2005) in May.

Gary J. Carter
Sr. Manager, Design Automation
Fujitsu Network Communications
Richardson, Texas
(972) 479-2236
begin:vcard
fn:Gary J. Carter
n:Carter;Gary J.
org:Fujitsu Network Communications;Engineering
adr:;;2801 Telecom Parkway;Richardson;Texas;75082;USA
email;internet:Gary.Carter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Sr. Manager, Design Automation
tel;work:972-479-2236
tel;fax:972-479-2236