[PCB_FORUM] Re: Long reference designators

  • From: george.h.patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:53:27 -0800

I have an identical situation on some of our boards, we handle it a little
differently.

We run a program on the output placement files that changes the reference
designator just for the placement machines, and supplies a load list that
cross references the real reference designator with a "local" reference
designator that the machines won't choke on.  Even if the ref des is short
enough to fit in the machines (as it usually is)

Like this:
BOM REFDES     MACHINE REFDES PACKAGE            PN
-------------- -------------- -------------- --------------
C440_0A4                C1                      S402
283-1170-00
C440_1A4                C2                      S402
283-1170-00
C440_0D0                C3                      S402
283-1170-00
C440_1D1                C4                      S402
283-1170-00
C440_0A2                C5                      S402
283-1170-00
C440_0D2                C6                      S402
283-1170-00

and so on...

The point being that we can have a board with a million parts on it, with
the reference designators 40 characters long, and still stuff it using our
old software on our old machines.  A bit more hassle, but more flexible in
the long run.

--
George Patrick
Tektronix, Inc.