From: kathy_descoteaux@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [PCB_FORUM] Re: GND Clearance Under SMD Pads
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:17:36 -0400

Hi Alexis..

Did you try to add a route keepout on the second layer? It should clear out the
gnd plane on the second layer if its a dynamic shape. There may be an issue
when it's placed on a brd with a different layer name for the second layer... a
minor update to the footprint and you should be good to go. Just thinking...
not sure if it will work.

Kathy Descoteaux

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:07:19 -0400
From: ameehan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [PCB_FORUM] GND Clearance Under SMD Pads

For a high speed application, we've had a request from engineering to create a
special footprint for decouplers (0402, 0201) with a GND clearance under the
pads. The clearances will be the same size as the pads, and will just affect
the ground plane on layer 2. I'm trying to figure the best way to do this. I
thought I could just build a special padstack, but Allegro (using XL 16.3)
won't allow me to build an SMD padstack with an anti-pad unless I define a
drill, bottom side pad, etc. But I'm not seeing a clean way to build this into
the footprint symbol either. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Alexis Meehan
Violin Memory Inc.