[PCB_FORUM] Re: Design re-use modules

  • From: "gnieski, mike" <gnieski_mike@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:55:39 -0400

        Carl and Mike,

        Refreshing is not a problem as long as you place and move the
modules around
        correctly. One problem that occurs is that some designers do not
recognize that
        the module should be moved as a group, some designers move modules
with symbols,
        etch, vias etc turned on without the group button being selected.
What generally
        happens is someone places the module initially off the board as a
group and moves
        it in the method that I mentioned. If you do this multiple times and
then refresh
        the module the refresh places the module in its initial spot off of
the board.

        Another problem is in revision control if you have an initial
release of a module
        into a library and say have a few boards built at initial rev, then
debug the board
        and find that changes to the module are needed, what do you do? Make
the changes
        to the initial module and keep the same name? Change the name of the
module to
        reflect a rev change? If you change the name then the refresh goes
out the window.
        What Cadence needs is some type of replace module similar to a
replace padstack where
        you could pick an exsisting placed module and substitute it with the
updated/upreved
        module. Not sure how this would work exactly.

        Another annoying thing with modules in 14.2 (havent gotten into 15
yet) is if you
        use one base design with multiple stackups you need a separate mdd
for each unique
        stackup.

        thanks,
        Mike Gnieski