[PCB_FORUM] Re: Copper balancing "thieving dots" New topic: ranting!

  • From: Kevin McCowan <kmccowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:43:51 -0400

A little bitter, aren't we?
It isn't like that everywhere.
I work for a small firm doing telemetry data stuff and
I have probably more freedom than I should to get
my job done. It isn't run by "the corporation" everywhere.
Of course, I have to do all of the library work, and
any autocad work, too. Oh, and take care of the manufacturing.

Still, I like it.

Kevin McCowan

Mitch S. Morey wrote:
        The idea was to plan stack-ups so that copper layers would
        be symmetrical around the centreline (z axis) of the board.
        Individual cores may have solid copper on one side and signal
        traces on the other during the PCB manufacturing process,...

Yep, I know the concept, and when 10 people get together to nickel-n-dime
pennies out of bare boards, that's what happens. Kinda tough on the layout
folks, huh?

        The company I worked for was a multi-billion dollar telecom.
        (before and after the meltdown) They had entire departments
        researching PCB design standards,...

Entire departments... read "Management stanglation" or "Management
overhead" or "job security". Again, nickel-n-dime the bare board, but when
a component goes bad or a component gets installed wrong... BINGO, more
costs. Yeah, we have these marvelous departments here too. "8 layers is
more expensive than 6; 6 layers is more expensive than 4; can't do micro
vias; can't do small drills on .04" (1mm) boards, etc. etc." When it all
gets done, purchasing forgets to order some parts and the boards sit at
assembly for a week longer... CaChing, CaChing. In principle it sounds
well and good, in practice it often times becomes "shooting blindly".

        I once had an enlightening discussion with one our board
     suppliers.He told me to think of bare PCB cost in terms of
     junking rates.

Many times I've heard this. That's why I try to visit two fab shops and at
least one assembly house a year. Amazing what other companies are doing.
:)

Good day.

Mitch

Want to post a job listing ? DON'T DO IT HERE! Better yet, join our jobs listing forum.

Want to post a job listing ? DON'T DO IT HERE! Better yet, join our jobs listing forum.