Re: [icon-users] ODT format output

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:37:45 +0200

In message <643311ab50.ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> In his message John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> The fact that equations created in TW can only be displayed in Word and
>>> not edited (because they are bitmaps) is a serious limitation ...
>>
>> That is presumably a side effect of the fact that vector drawings are
>> converted to bitmaps.  It would be really nice to get that fixed.   (And
>> also to fix the fact that JPEGs are converted to Sprites).

> In part, yes. A half-way house would be to convert TW equations to WMF
> when converting the document to Word. In principle this would could be
> edited in Word but it would be very inconvenient. If the edited Word
> document were returned to the sender the WMF equations might be
> converted to Draw (although I have a feeling that they would be left
> as WMF and only converted to Draw for rendering on the screen and for
> printing).

To clarify: EasiWriter documents can hold WMF+Draw illustrations
(which originate from importing Word documents with WMF illustrations)
or Draw illustrations (which originate from importing a Draw file).

WMF+Draw illustrations are treated like Draw illustrations, except
when exporting to Word, in which case the original WMF is exported.
When exporting a pure Draw illustration to Word format, it is
converted to a bitmap.

JPEGs are converted to uncompressed bitmaps for Word export because
the Word format that is currently used does not support JPEGs. In
order to export JPEGs (and some other things, e.g., links) Word export
would need to use Word2000 format (which has been suggested as a
potential improvement).

An equation converted to WMF would not offer much more editability in
Word than a bitmap and would almost always look worse, so that is not
a realistic option.

Martin