Re: [icon-users] Microsoft Office file validation

  • From: Matthew Phillips <spam2011m@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Icon users <icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 22:03:25 GMT

In message <52729a4a94john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 on 18 Mar 2012 John Harrison  wrote:

> Has anyone else had this problem?  I've had it from several people in
> recent months.
>
> When sending documents to non-RO users I convert them to PDF if they are
> not for editing, or Word if they are (eg contributions to a newsletter).
> Several people have come back asking me to re-save and re-send, because the
> file has been detected as suspicious.

Not the same problem, but just a general observation that Microsoft seem to
be taking every opportunity of making people scared of using their computers.

The latest version of Office which was recently installed on our computers at
work, as well as thoroughly hiding the option to print, now objects seemingly
every time I open a Word document sent as an e-mail attachment by colleagues
elsewhere in the same workplace!  It tells you they may be dangerous and you
have to click a button to "Enable editing" or "Enable printing" before it
will allow those activities.

I expect it's just another way of training us to blithely click on every
button going, without reading any of them, until we find that with a mistaken
click of the button we have transferred all our material assets to Microsoft
without realising.

--
Matthew Phillips
Durham