Re: [icon-users] Microsoft Office file validation

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 12:40:25 +0200

In message <528905f6edjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> ... the two or three .docx documnts I receive each year (not really
>> enough to make it worth my while upgrading to the latest version of EW

> The next upgrade is paid for by those who bought the previous one.

That mantra has been stated frequently by other vendors, but not by
me, and I do not believe that argument. Producing an upgrade is a
business decision. You invest money and you expect to get a profit in
return. Whether that is viable only depends on the question whether
the current upgrade will pay off.

Of course, the company needs to have the money to make the investment,
but it does not matter where that comes from. The only situation in
which the above claim makes some sense is the case of a company that
has no money to invest other than the profits of the previous upgrade.

At the end of the day, the deciding factor is always whether the new
upgrade is considered likely to make a profit. Admittedly, the sales
of the previous upgrade do play a role in these considerations, so if
very few people bought a particular upgrade it would affect my
eagerness to produce another one, but from a business point of view
each upgrade is paid for by the people who buy that particular upgrade
(plus, to a lesser extent, by those who make larger upgrade steps
later that include this upgrade).

Martin