Re: [icon-users] Microsoft Office file validation

  • From: Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 17:14:17 +0100

On 30 Apr 2012  Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <2989848852.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Peter Young
> <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The last batch I sent as Word and pdf, and nobody complained! I forgot
>> about rtf, but how many Windows users know about that?

> They don't need to. If has .rtf and their system is set up appropriately,
> they should be able to double-click it like any Word file. If the type of
> user who has file extensions hidden, they won't probably notice any
> difference from a .doc

Accepted, but I can imagine some of them, particularly Word users,
seeing a strange file format and not knowing that it just needs a
double-click. There are sensible people out there who seem to lose
their brains when they sit in front of a computer.

> In fact, with LibreOffice .rtf and .doc look the same and it can even
> cope with an RTF file if it 'wrongly' has a .doc extn! Dunno about
> Wurd though, probably an excuse for the effing paperclip to get in the
> way.

At least you can turn the paperclip off, but they probably don't know
that anyway.

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \  /      zfc Hf     \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
and      \/ __            __  \                              England.