Re: [icon-users] Microsoft Office file validation

  • From: Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:17:35 +0100

On 30 Apr 2012  John Rye <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello All

> In article <5288063f48john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> When we discussed this some while ago I assumed that whatever objected to
>> opening the Word files created by EW was part of Windows (or perhaps part
>> of Word) it was MS software interpreting the absence of MS specific content
>> (like the version of Word) as 'suspicious'.

>> I just had another document rejected by someone else, who said his computer
>> will not open the file, and shows a security alert.  When I quizzed him he
>> said it was AVG anit-virus software.

>> So I wonder what file attributes of an EW generated Word file are
>> triggering it.

> This gets weirder. In the past week I emailed a "word" document from
> Easiwriter to members of a committee. One reported that he could open it, but
> not edit it or print it. Another reported that it had a virus, and would I
> resend it.

I have to send Word documents to fellow committee members. I've warned
them about Microsoft's paranoia, but haven't yet had any reports about
warnings. However, one person reports the failure to print mentioned
above. In the last batch I exported the document from EasiWriter as
rtf, and imported it into LibreOffice in Windows and saved it as Word
from there, and I didn't have any reports again of problems; I forgot
to ask if that solved the printing problem. Martin has mentioned that
EasiWriter exports Word in a rather old format, which is why I tried
the export by rtf and import into LibreOffice route. Whether people
have problems or not may depend on whether they've done all the
Windows updates, perhaps. One thing is for sure, it's a lot easier to
get the formatting right in EasiWriter, which does what I tell it,
than in LibreOffice, which knows better than me what to do!

> I sent the latter the same document as RTF, and there were no problems.

The last batch I sent as Word and pdf, and nobody complained! I forgot
about rtf, but how many Windows users know about that?

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \  /      zfc Hf     \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
and      \/ __            __  \                              England.