Re: [icon-users] Microsoft Office file validation

  • From: John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Icon users <icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:17:27 +0000 (GMT)

In article <7c03067352.mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Mike Hobbs <mike.hobbs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've discovered that a number of internet service providers are
> getting very aggressive about spam.

They have been for a while.  They are fighting a war against spam, and it's
well known that in wars people can suffer in cross-fire.

> It seems some spam filters delve into every part of an email looking for
> spam-like material. That can be as innocuous as mentioning low cost
> jewellery or including a URL of a site that uses a domain and IP address
> that does not tally with its location of registration (e.g. using .co.uk
> if the IP address is not registered in the UK). Simply including the
> email address of someone using such a domain can cause the mail to be
> marked as spam. In my opinion this this unacceptably intrusive but that
> is what is happening, like it or not.  Could this be your problem?

I don't think so.  I would expect that situation to report the message as
spam, to send it to the junk box, or not to deliver it.  In this case, it
isn't objecting to the message, it is specifically objecting to the
particular Microsoft filetype, and AFIA it is the recipient's computer, not
the ISP, that is objecting.

Regards

--
John Harrison