Re: [icon-users] Lorem Ipsum Why? (Was: Quotes problem)

  • From: busser&busser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 13:11:04 +0100

In message <4ff79b7105rh.lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Russell Hafter - Lists <rh.lists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01 Nov, Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In message <4ff77b58d9dhwild@xxxxxxxxxxxx> David H Wild
>>           <dhwild@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I hink that you are still missing the point slightly.
>>> You might want to show someone what your design of
>>> brochure, for instance, would look like - even before
>>> there is any real text to show.

>> Precisely. The point is that you might want to discuss
>> the design with someone and you will find it difficult to
>> do that if you use real text. One of the web sites that
>> discuss lorem ipsum was set up by a web designer after a
>> website design meeting was a complete desaster because he
>> had put in some real example text and then showed the
>> design to managers and marketing people. Nobody discussed
>> the design at all, everyone was just discussing the
>> contents no matter how many times he pointed out that the
>> text was immaterial and just an example.

> Amazing!!

> I can see the point of a design with text only, and blanks
> instead of graphics, but not the other way round!

That is old school thinking from a time before low cost printing
became broadly available and manipulating and printing of graphics
costed a fortune.
The modern way is the more intuitive, natural one.

Also, because the high quality of (output from) design(software)
people tend to take a good design for granted and have the tendency
to focus on textcontent. The focus can be drawn back to the design by
using LI-text.

If you don't or won't see that, so be it.

regards

Ike Busser

Busser & Busser facility management
Kruidenlaan 112