Re: [icon-users] Link does not appear in WORD

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:30:29 +0100

In message <50e0dba5f3riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ALT clicking a web-address that has been set with the HTML link icon
> automatically launches a browser but when the document is saved as a
> WORD file and networked to a PC the link disappears. Is this normal
> behaviour?

Yes. This has come up quite a few times already. Links only appeared
in Word2000 format, but EW/TW saves in Word95 format, which simply
does not support links, so they cannot be saved. EW is clever enough
to still embed the link in the Word file in such a way that EW itself
can recreate it when importing the Word file, which might give the
impression that it is there in the Word file.

Switching to Word2000 format would allow the full colour palette,
links, JPEGs and PNGs to be exported. However, such a switch would
probably be pointless now since it would be better to go for one of
the new XML based formats.

> I've just had a thought - I'm opening the document in WORD 2003 -
> perhaps this version is too old to recognise the HTML link.

Considering that we are saving in Word95 format, that is not really a
problem...

Martin