Re: [icon-users] Keep together

  • From: Russell Hafter - Lists <rh.lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:31:28 +0000 (GMT)

On 11 Mar, John Greenwood
<icon.news.2sw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In printing terminology an "orphan" is a few lines of a
> paragraph that runs over to a next page and a "widow" is
> the first few lines of a paragraph at the bottom of a
> page. A common and useful feature in any page formatting
> software is orphan and widow control, whereby the minimum
> number of lines is set. So, for example:

[Snip detail]

> I think orphan and widow control would be a useful
> addition to EW/TW and probably not difficult to implement.

I would find this useful, if only as a reminder to see what
is going on.

My personal preference is always that no paragraphs split
across columns / pages, but I do keep paragraphs short.

I often use the trick of adjusting the font width to make
sure that just one or two words do not form the last line of
any paragraph, but I imagine impelementing a button that
could do this semi-automatically, without having to open the
font dialogue box and adjust one or two percent at a time
would not be trivial.