Re: [icon-users] Feature Request - No thank you!

  • From: Russell Hafter - Lists <rh.lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:39:29 +0000 (GMT)

On 10 Dec, Mike Glover <Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9 Dec 2007, at 11:20, Russell Hafter - Lists wrote:

> > As far as EW is concerned, I did not even know that it
> > had a 'beep when not in dictionary' function. One
> > obvious limitation to this is that, AFAIK, EW only
> > checks the dictionary that correlates with the text
> > language, while I often compose documents in more than
> > one langauage.

> Then set up styles for each of your languages.

> For example select the word drucker,

Drucker
:-)

(It is a noun. You could have left the final r off and as a
verb, that would have been fine.)

> choose Text>German and create an emphasis style called
> German. Assuming it gets allocated Ctrl-F7 as its short
> cut typing 'english' ctrl-F7 'drucker' will generate two
> errors - one from the English dictionary the other from
> the German (assuming you have the dictionary). In the
> event you don't the German words will be ignored and
> won't be subject to English spell checking.

I do have a German dictionary, which you sold me (with no
effort) many years ago. I ought to get a French one too.

I also, at least in largish documents, not infrequently have
an emphasis which includes German as one of its attributes.

But for me, typing a CTRL-Function key combination before
anything is not an option. I find them impossible to
remember. I stick to CTRL-C,  CTRL-V,  CTRL-X, CTRL-B,
CTRL-I and  CTRL-T which I /can/ remember (CTRL-T here
corresponds to the 'P' button on the button bar).

Otherwise I find it much easier to select the appropriate
dictionary during the spell check /after/ completing the
document.

Unfortunately, one cannot usefully construct a dictionary of
many Czech place names, because many of the characters with
diacritics in Latin2 are recognised by EW as punctuation or
similar, so end up being checked as two part words.

eg Holo¹ovice in Latin2 spells the name of one of Prague's
main stations, which I use in a number of documents (the ¹
in Latin1 -> lower case s-caron in Latin2). But EW sees that
as three separate words without spaces in (which also makes
it a pain to copy and paste, as double-clicking on it only
ever selects one of the three bits).

--
Russell Hafter