Re: [icon-users] Easi/TechWriter 8.82 available [was: PostScript 3 and EW/TW]

  • From: Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 08:07:31 +0100

On 15 Oct 2009  Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <bc7db8aa50.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]

>> 15 Oct 18:13:06 002 000000A0: EasiWriter: Trying to export as PDF 1.2
>> (Acrobat 3) via PostScript 3 driver. Using PDF 1.3 (Acrobat 4)
>> instead.

>> When I click on OK, the conversion goes ahead as it should.

> Yes, that is exactly the feature mentioned above. You have configured
> your copy of EasiWriter to export in PDF 1.2 format. EasiWriter
> detects that this will not work in conjunction with PostScript 3, so
> you get a warning and EasiWriter uses PDF 1.3 instead.

> That means that PDF generation via PostScript 3 from EasiWriter is
> more robust than from other applications because with all other
> applications, the user has to remember to switch from PDF 1.2 to PDF
> 1.3 export based on the instructions in the PostScript 3 manual, and
> who reads those?

> If you do not like the warning, all you need to do is to configure
> EasiWriter for PDF 1.3 export via "Choices...".

D'oh, I knew I was doing something wrong; I'd totally forgotten about
that aspect of the Choices, and all done now; thanks.

That's the problem when a very complex app like EW comes up against
someone simple-minded like me. It works so well for everyday purposes
that I forget about the really clever bits.

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter, \  /      zfc Yb       \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
Anne    \/ __            __    \                              England.