[icon-discuss] Re: renewing warranty, etc.

  • From: Blake Galbraith <blakeblind@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Icon Discuss List <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 17:37:16 -0700

Hi, everyone.

I thought I'd say something, as I have some experience with
programming and such. As for getting a software and/or hardware
agreement, you'd also have to look at affordability. I believe buying
upgrades could be more expensive in the long-run, especially if you
have problems with your hardware. I've not had problems with my Icon
since the initial problems I had when I first got it a little over a
year and a half ago.

Anyway, to the software related side of things.
I'm not sure how many coders Levelstar has, but in order to add
features, you have to first figure out how to logically structure the
program, then you write it all out. That's a simple explanation of
what happens, but depending on what's being written, that can take a
while. Usually, you have to debug programs quite a few times before
they're considered stable enough for beta testing. After that, some
beta testers try unanticipated variables that might occur within the
program. After all, programmers can't anticipate everything in one go
unless it's an extremely simple application.
As a simple example, I wrote a chat server people could telnet into. I
began writing it in 2008, but with everything going on in my life,
still haven't released it because there's one more feature I want to
add before I'll consider it ready for beta testing. Sometimes,
programmers may think that way as well. So, I guess the point in
simple terms that I'm trying to say is, we don't really know what's
going on behind the scenes. For all we know, they could be three
months from releasing another beta version of the software for the
Icon and Braille+.

That's my two sense for the day, folks.

On 3/2/10, Clinton Lindgren <clinton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, I'm not sure this is really a fair analogy.  While it is true that
> there
> are quite a few updates coming out from Microsoft, most of these updates
> have
> very little to do with increasing the functionality of your PC or laptop.
> Most
> of these updates have more to do with fixing security issues, or making
> sotware
> piracy more difficult, as was the case with Windows Genuine Advantage.
> Other
> updates are created simply to enhance the look and feel of your favorite PC
> software, like substituting the menu for a ribbon, for example.  In many
> cases,
> you then have to wait for a new update to your screen reader to be able to
> get
> much use from the new software, and depending on which screen reader you
> use,
> that update could cost you even more money.
>
> A more fair comparison would be how often a PDA, cell phone, or similar
> device
> gets updated.  The fact is, that in those cases, these devices get replaced
> with new models much more often than they are ever updated, which then
> leaves
> the consumer to decide if they want to pay for the new model of whatever
> device
> it is, or accept the limitations of what they have right now.
>
> Well, I don't know how helpful this rambling is, and it is a bit off-topic,
> but
> it is something to think about.
>
> Good luck with your hardware/software agreement decisions.
>
> Clinton
>
> On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 05:23:17 -0800, Johnny Lam wrote:
>

>>Hi, I haven't noticed any other developments for  the Icon/BP since last
>>summer. I wonder what's up with that too? There's still lots of features
>> that
>>can be added to  the units, but now I'm not sure I'm interested in renewing
>> the
>>SMA again in the  future. And I also think there would be more upgrades
>> once
>>in a while. On a regular PC I will see some updates from  microsoft once in
>>while, not a few times a year only. Perhaps I'll be better off with a
>> laptop.
>>----- Original Message -----  From: Crystal    French To: Icon Discussion
>> List
>>Sent:  Monday, March 01, 2010 11:39    AM Subject:  [icon-discuss] renewing
>>
>>warranty, etc. Hi, It is getting time for me to decide whether to    renew
>> the
>>warranty and SMA on my Braille Plus. Maybe it is just me, but it doesn't
>> seem
>>that    there is much happening with further developments with the Braille
>> Plus
> [...]
If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original sender only.
If your reply would benefit others on the list and your message is related to
LevelStar or APH then consider sending your message to
icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx