[icon-discuss] Re: Wait Starbucks networks don't work with Icon?

  • From: "Scott Ford" <scotte.ford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <starnoble@xxxxxxxxx>, "'icon-discuss'" <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:30:52 -0500

Hi Jerry and list,
        I have used quite a few open wyfi networks and I have made the
following observations.  First there are the open wyfi networks these are
networks that you tell your unit to connect to and you are surfing.  Second
there are the networks that are secured with a key.  You need to ask the
proprietor for their key or password.  Third their networks that require the
above key/password and you must open a browser session and click there
agreement leaving the browser session open while you use their internet
services.  Fourth their are networks that appear to be open however they use
Mac address filtering and when you attempt to connect and the router
determines that you are not worthy you get dropped, like yesterdays news
paper.  I have also found that using a Braille plus with version 1.1 does
not seem to get the arp push that the routers send to the browser.  We had
another Braille plus with the software version 1.1.1 and the arp push
happened with no problem.  I hope that this helps.
Scott