[icon-discuss] Re: My first experience with file sharing

Paul:

Admittedly, there are still some buggs to work out.  However, in our defense, I
can tell you that Rob Meredith put a lot of work into this and I know for a
fact that he is running Windows Vista on his home computer.  So, there!

One thing to keep in mind with regard to file sharing is that we can tell you
how it's supposed to work, but you're going to have to do some homework on your
part, as far as the Vista end goes, with regard to solving any firewall issues
or any other curve that microsoft has thrown your way.  It's very possible that
what you want to do can be done, but there may be some workarounds that have to
be done.  It is impossible for us to know all of those because every situation
is different.

I'm sure you're not the only Vista user on this list and so perhaps there will
be someone else who can help you troubleshoot.

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> paulh52@xxxxxxxxxxx 04/01/08 06:16PM >>>
I am really upset.
I'll admit that I haven't read all of my 400 messages yet.
I am glad those with xp are having good experiences with file sharing.
But those of us with vista so far have been left out in the cold.
At the risk of getting kicked off this list, I am really upset.
I talked with Michael at level star today. I think a lot of Michael. He's a
pretty neat guy.
But he said no testing had been done with vista with regards to file sharing
and had no ideas of what to do other than turning on the guest account which
did nothing to resolve the problem.
Words like irresponsible and reprehensible come to mind.
Vista has been out for well over a year now and no one on the development or
beta teams thought to test the icon with vista?
How can this be?
Michael's thought was that perhaps people are afraid of it.
Well, as of January 2009,  you won't be able to buy a computer with XP.
One would think that level star and/or APH would get with the program and
use the current operating system in their tests of the icon, braille plus,
or any other software for the computer or related to those devices..
This is the current operating system; not windows xp; not windows 98, 95 or
DOS.
Documentation should have been put out at the time of release for file
sharing with xp as well as for vista.
So, now, I am unable to use a feature on which I was counting.
Now, I am forced to wait until someone on the development team gets their
hands on a vista machine and solves this problem.
I respectfully submit my name as an interested beta tester for all future
releases, both hardware and software so at least someone with a vista
machine will test these applications to make sure they are ready for the
current operating system.

Paul Henrichsen
<paulh52@xxxxxxxxxxx>

database 2993 (20080401) __________