[icon-discuss] Re: My first experience with file sharing

Paul,

While it is true that testing was not done with Vista, and maybe should have been, there is no documentation on how to set up with XP either other than my podcast which, is more about demonstrating an example of how to access shared files from the unit. I did not go over how to set things up on the PC side of things in XP or any other operating system. If you check out other PDA's that support netwowrking, you will find that the only documentation provided is on the side of the PDA. It is up to you to research how to set things up on the computer side of things. We cannot be responsible for knowing the ins and outs of every operating system, Microsoft or otherwise. You might wish to check out Microsoft.com to look through their knowledge base concerning troubleshooting network issues. i'd be curious, have you tried to access shared files on your vista PC from another PC? In other words, are you sure this is specifically Braille + related? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Henrichsen" <paulh52@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 4:16 PM
Subject: [icon-discuss] Re: My first experience with file sharing

I am really upset.
I'll admit that I haven't read all of my 400 messages yet.
I am glad those with xp are having good experiences with file sharing.
But those of us with vista so far have been left out in the cold.
At the risk of getting kicked off this list, I am really upset.
I talked with Michael at level star today. I think a lot of Michael. He's a
pretty neat guy.
But he said no testing had been done with vista with regards to file sharing and had no ideas of what to do other than turning on the guest account which
did nothing to resolve the problem.
Words like irresponsible and reprehensible come to mind.
Vista has been out for well over a year now and no one on the development or
beta teams thought to test the icon with vista?
How can this be?
Michael's thought was that perhaps people are afraid of it.
Well, as of January 2009,  you won't be able to buy a computer with XP.
One would think that level star and/or APH would get with the program and
use the current operating system in their tests of the icon, braille plus,
or any other software for the computer or related to those devices..
This is the current operating system; not windows xp; not windows 98, 95 or
DOS.
Documentation should have been put out at the time of release for file
sharing with xp as well as for vista.
So, now, I am unable to use a feature on which I was counting.
Now, I am forced to wait until someone on the development team gets their
hands on a vista machine and solves this problem.
I respectfully submit my name as an interested beta tester for all future
releases, both hardware and software so at least someone with a vista
machine will test these applications to make sure they are ready for the
current operating system.

Paul Henrichsen
<paulh52@xxxxxxxxxxx>

database 2993 (20080401) __________

http://www.eset.com

Icon Discuss Mailing List
icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.freelists.org/list/icon-discuss

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank message with unsubscribe in the subject line to:

icon-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

For answers to the most frequently asked questions about Icon and Braille +, Visit
the LevelStar and APH FAQ pages:
Visit the LevelStar FAQ page at
Visit the APH FAQ page at