[icebtac] Re: Reminder: NIMAS Tactile Graphics Meeting this Friday

  • From: Joe Sullivan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: siller@xxxxxxx, icebtac@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:23:54 -0500

Hello all,

To follow up Chris' question about studies, Caryn Navy recalls:

"I don't have a specific study. But Sue Melrose of Hadley School for the Blind was involved in some research of this kind. I'm not sure if she's still at Hadley these days. I think that Smith-Kettlewell might also have done some interesting research in this area."

In trying to follow these leads, I found quite a few references to Smith-Kettlewell's work on the Web, and also found my way to the Teresias listing of research studies. If you go to the "search" page at

http://www.tiresias.org/research/cr1_b.htm

and type in "tactile graphics" (exact phrase), about 30 pop up; some of which (e.g. Dr. Aldrich's work in the UK) seem especially applicable to education.

I will cross-post this to the ICEB's Tactile Graphics Commitee list, for their information and in case there may be further information from its participants.

Regards,
Joe