[ibis-macro] Re: What part of Legacy IBIS is used by IBIS-AMI

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:39:35 +0000

Dan,

There are several issues that need to be considered in this topic.

The biggest issue in my mind is the question of time step.  An
ideal step or impulse function has zero width.  In time step based
simulators the best we can do for a step function is a slope that
is one time step wide, and for an impulse function two slopes
(one up and one down) that are a total of two steps wide.  No
matter how small you make your time step, these functions are
never going to be what they should be.  This introduces errors
and the amount of error will depend on the time step, which may
depend on the EDA tool's internal algorithms.

Regarding:  "Another way to look at it would be to say that if a model writer
intended for a model to work with an ideal impulse response, they could
essentially ship and IBIS file that pretty much only contains a c-comp, "zeroed
out" V-I tables, and sharp edge rate in the ramp data to make it a fairly ideal
driver."

This is basically a suggestion to implement an ideal step or impulse
function generator in the IBIS [Model].  But where is the buffer's
model then?  You would either have to put the buffer's impedance
model in series or in parallel with this function generator.  And the
C_comp would belong to the buffer's model, not the ideal function
generator.  But why would you go this route, when the EDA tool can
do the function generator in the stimulus, and the model maker can
do the model of the device in the IBIS [Model]?

From: "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>>
To: <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>>, "'IBIS-ATM'"
<ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: 07/11/2012 03:53 AM