[ibis-macro] Re: What I think BIRD145 is try to accomplish is ...

  • From: Feras Al-Hawari <feras@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>, IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 01:28:19 -0800

Hello Walter,

The main goal of BIRD 145 is to directly cascade and call an IBIS I/O model
(standard VI/VT based model or an [External Model]) with an [External Circuit]
that could be a represenation of ODT, RDL, or package. Based on that, for
example, the [External Circuit] could reference an IBIS/ISS subckt that
contains your suggested ladder RC circuit.

So BIRD 145 would allow you to directly connect your ladder RC circuit
(encapsulated inside the [External Circuit]) to its corresponding buffer model
using the new [Model Call] subparameter. To accomplish the previous goal based
on the current IBIS spec you need to: 1) encapsulate the b-element inside a
subckt, 2) reference that b-element subckt from an [External Circuit], 3)
connect [External Circuit] that references the I/O model to the [External
Circuit] that references the ladder RC circuit. It is obvious that these steps
are cumbersome especially when the developer could just directly call the
desired IBIS I/O model without the need to develop a SPICE-like wrapper as well
as an [External Circuit] section.

Based on the above, the goal of BIRD 145 is different from your proposal  below.

Thanks,

Feras