[ibis-macro] Re: Questions on API proposal

  • From: "Mirmak, Michael" <michael.mirmak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:44:23 -0700

Walter,

Thanks for the response.  This has not been a problem for [External
Model], but [External Model] was explicitly limited to the same nodal
arrangement as [Model] (with the exception of differential buffers).
[External Model] is essentially a one-to-one substitution for the analog
content of the [Model] calling it and, as such, being able to
"mix-and-match" [External Model] content within different [Model]s makes
little practical sense.

[Algorithmic Model] is an algorithmic complement to the analog content
of a [Model] and therefore is somewhat separate.  I can imagine, without
stretching at all, using a single, generic compiled code set under
[Algorithmic Model] for several different [Model]s.

I generally agree with your proposal and, if we understand each other
correctly, the following syntax changes should be made to the proposal:
1) [Algorithmic Model], as a definition, moves to the same level in the
IBIS tree hierarchy as [Model]
2) Like a [Submodel], a call to an [Algorithmic Model] would be made
with a slightly different keyword or subparameter within [Model] ([Add
Algorithmic Model]?)

Both of these should be fairly easily implemented with no changes at all
to the core functionality.  We would still need to clarify whether an
algorithmic model call within a [Model] instantiates a new algorithmic
model entity, or calls an existing one shared among several [Model]s.

I am not sure I understand the usage of [Algorithmic Model] in a
separate library .ibs file, but we can certainly discuss it.

- MM