[ibis-macro] Proposed new BIRD to allow using M#,C0,P# for (Type Tap) parameter names

  • From: "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Todd Westerhoff" <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Adge Hawes" <adge@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:19:02 -0500 (EST)

All,

When using various programing languages (e.g. PERL, .) to process or
create .smi files, it would be useful to declare all parameters using the
least common denominator parameter parsing rule that all parameter names
consist of letters (a-Z), numbers (0-9) and (_), and that parameter names
always begin with a letter (a-Z) or (_).

The only reserved parameter that violates this rule is Dual-Dirac. The
(Type Tap) also violates this rule because it allows parameter names to be
-1, 0, 1. It should be recommended to Model Developers, that they choose
parameter names (and branch names) that follow the above rules.

This is a BIRD that Adge and I would like to formally submit to BIS-ATM
for discussion. IBIS 5.0 has for (Type Tap):

| A tapped delay line can be described by creating a separate

| parameter for each tap weight and grouping all the tap

| weights for a given tapped delay line in a single parameter

| group which is given the name of the tapped delay line. If in

| addition the individual tap weights are each given a name

| which is their tap number (i.e., "-1" is the name of the

| first precursor tap, "0" is the name of the main tap, "1" is

| the name of the first postcursor tap, etc.) and the tap

| weights are declared to be of type Tap, then the EDA platform

| can assume that the individual parameters are tap weights in

| a tapped delay line, and use that assumption to perform tasks

| such as optimization. The model developer is responsible for

| choosing whether or not to follow this convention.

Would be replaced with

| A tapped delay line can be described by creating a separate

| parameter for each tap weight and grouping all the tap

| weights for a given tapped delay line in a single parameter

| group which is given the name of the tapped delay line. If in

| addition the individual tap weights are each given a name

* | which is their tap number (i.e., "-1" or "M1" is the name of the

* | first precursor tap, "0" or "Co" is the name of the main tap, "1" or
"P1" is

| the name of the first postcursor tap, etc.) and the tap

| weights are declared to be of type Tap, then the EDA platform

| can assume that the individual parameters are tap weights in

| a tapped delay line, and use that assumption to perform tasks

| such as optimization. The model developer is responsible for

| choosing whether or not to follow this convention.

This can go into IBIS 5.1 or IBIS 5.2 (we would prefer IBIS 5.1). I would
like to have a straw vote in Tuesday's ATM meeting to indicate if we
should attempt to put this in IBIS 5.1

 <mailto:wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx> wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx

Phone 303.449-2308