[ibis-macro] Outline of proposed [Diff Pin Model] [Diff Model] Bird

  • From: "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:50:53 -0500

All,

The following is a review of the structure that I would expand into a full
BIRD.  This only supports the existing Tx and Rx differential IBIS
parameters.

I change the example to be more generic, and use an I/O instead of an Input.
I also removed [Model Selector], although it still can apply to both [Model]
and [Diff_model]

Example still has illegal [End ?] and indentation to make hierarchy clearer.

I would like to resolve some technical decisions (in red), and get agreement
on the proposed structure before formatting this into a BIRD. All of the
other new items such as derating, tVAC, LTI models, redefinition of
Tdiffslew rules, min/max common mode voltage rules, and eye template would
be in a separate BIRD.

Walter

Existing implementation
-----------------------

[Component]   MEM
[Manufacturer]  SiSoft
[Pin]        signal_name model_name   R_pin        L_pin        C_pin
E8            DQS+      DQS    41.35m       1.55nH       0.13pF
F8            DQS-      DQS    42.93m       1.55nH       0.12pF
[End Pin]

[Diff_pin]     inv_pin     vdiff     tdelay_typ     tdelay_min    tdelay_max
E8            F8     .250V            0ns          -50ps          50ps
[End Diff_pin]

[End Component]

[Model]        DQS
Model_type     I/O
?  normal single pin IBIS stuff
[Receiver Thresholds]
Vcross_low   = 0.675V
Vcross_high  = 1.125V
Vdiff_ac     = 500mV
Vdiff_dc     = 250mV
Tdiffslew_ac = 5.000ns
[End Receiver Thresholds]
?  normal single pin IBIS stuff
[End Model]
[End]

Proposed implementation
-----------------------

[Component]   MEM
[Manufacturer]  SiSoft
[Pin]        signal_name model_name   R_pin        L_pin        C_pin
E8            DQS+        DQS  41.35m       1.55nH       0.13pF
F8            DQS-        DQS  42.93m       1.55nH       0.12pF
[End Pin]

[Diff_pin_model] inv_pin     diff_model
E8              F8       DQS_DIFF
[End Diff_pin]

[End Component]

[Model]        DQS
Model_type     I/O
? normal single pin IBIS stuff (exclude differential [Receiver Thresholds]
stuff)
[End Model]

[Diff_model]        DQS_DIFF
Model_type          Pseudo_Differential_I/O

       Single_ended_capable True

| Buffer model
|
| Model
Single_ended_model DQS
| or
Active_high_model   DQS
Active_low_model    DQS
| and? /or
[External Model]
?
[End External Model]

| Transmit active high/low skew

[Transmit Thresholds]
tdelay_typ   =   0ns
tdelay_min   = -50ps
tdelay_max   =  50ps
| or
tdelay         0ns          -50ps          50ps
[End Transmit Thresholds]

| Receiver analysis

[Algorithmic Model]
Executable Windows_VisualStudio_32 dqs.dll dqs.ami
[End Algorithmic Model]

[Receiver Thresholds]
Vcross_low   = 0.675V   | Minimum common mode voltage at differential signal
crossing 0V
Vcross_high  = 1.125V   | Maximum common mode voltage at differential signal
crossing 0V
Vdiff        = 250mV
Vdiff_ac     = 500mV
Vdiff_dc     = 250mV
Tdiffslew_ac = 5.000ns
[End Receiver Thresholds]

[End Diff_model]

[End]

Precedence Rules:
[Diff_pin_model] takes precedence over [Diff_pin]
If [Diff_pin_model], differential parameters [Receiver Thresholds] in
[Model] are ignored
Active_high_model and Active_low_model take precedence over
Single_ended_model

Issues to resolve:
Format of tdelay
Allow both [External Model] and Single_ended_model (leave choice to EDA
tool)
Allow multiple [External Model] in a [Diff_model]
In one IBIS file there can be
multiple speed grades
multiple ODT
multiple analog models