[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 20 Dec 2011 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 16:43:47 -0500

Minutes from the 20 Dec 2011 ibis-atm meeting are attached.

Meeting date: 20 Dec 2011

Members (asterisk for those attending):
Agilent:                    * Fangyi Rao
                              Radek Biernacki
Altera:                     * David Banas
Ansys:                        Samuel Mertens
                            * Dan Dvorscak
                            * Curtis Clark
Arrow Electronics:            Ian Dodd
Cadence Design Systems:       Terry Jernberg
                            * Ambrish Varma
                              Feras Al-Hawari
Celsionix:                    Kellee Crisafulli
Cisco Systems:                Ashwin Vasudevan
                              Syed Huq
Ericsson:                     Anders Ekholm
IBM:                          Greg Edlund
Intel:                        Michael Mirmak
LSI Logic:                    Wenyi Jin
Maxim Integrated Products:    Mahbubul Bari
Mentor Graphics:            * John Angulo
                              Zhen Mu
                            * Arpad Muranyi
                            * Vladimir Dmitriev-Zdorov
Micron Technology:            Randy Wolff
NetLogic Microsystems:        Ryan Couts
Nokia-Siemens Networks:     * Eckhard Lenski
QLogic Corp.                  James Zhou
Sigrity:                      Brad Brim
                              Kumar Keshavan
                            * Ken Willis
SiSoft:                     * Walter Katz
                              Todd Westerhoff
                              Doug Burns
                            * Mike LaBonte
Snowbush IP:                  Marcus Van Ierssel
ST Micro:                     Syed Sadeghi
Teraspeed Consulting Group:   Scott McMorrow
                            * Bob Ross
TI:                           Casey Morrison
                              Alfred Chong
Vitesse Semiconductor:        Eric Sweetman
Xilinx:                       Mustansir Fanaswalla

The meeting was lead by Arpad Muranyi

- Arpad: There will be no meeting next week
  - The next meeting will be 3 Jan 2012

- None

- Walter update BIRD 123
  - Done, posted in the work archive

- Walter create jitter derivation document
  - Done

- Ken propose reduced set of jitter parameters
  - Decision to support dual models causes a problem
  - Dual sets of jitter params are required
  - This AR is done

- David write mathematical description of combined Dj proposal
  - Done, language is in BIRD 123

BIRD 123.3 draft 5:
- Walter: There have been extensive discussions with David, James and Fangyi
- Ken: I have suggested deprecating the old jitter parameters
- Walter: They still are useful where a PDF table is given
- Walter: Some changes:
  - Usage Out has been removed
  - EDA tools should use last returned value from each Getwave
  - Don't understand about "how EDA tool can input the clocks"
- Arpad: That may be an old idea, no longer valid
- Ken: TX Jitter is redundant but RX is not?
- Walter: TX Jitter supports PDF, which the new parameters do not support
- Ken What if TX Jitter is defined in both old and new ways?
- Walter: Combine them
- Ken: We should have guidance for developers
- Fangyi: That is a good idea
- Walter: It would be best to discuss that in email
- Arpad: There are a few typos in the BIRD
- Arpad made some corrections which will be sent to Walter
- The BIRD draft will be voted for submission next meeting

- David: Is there any doubt about the intended use of the RX ... parameters?
- Walter: It is well documented

- Vladimir: What is the final decision on TX jitter deprecation?
- Walter: We should keep them but TX DCD can no longer be Out
- Ken: I would prefer to take the old ones out and enhance the new ones
- Arpad: We should keep the overlap for one release
- Walter: Deprecation is usually a warning of future removal of support

AR: Arpad send BIRD 123 changes from today to Walter

Arpad showed a presentation on Usage Out parameters:
- Slide 2:
  - Arpad: The phrase "Output only" might be confused
    - It should mean the value always comes from the DLL
  - Walter: Correct
  - Arpad: "All parameters must be ..." requires Out parameters
    to have a value in the AMI file
    - How would these values be used?
  - Walter: It should be ignored
  - Ambrish: It could restrict the expected return values
    - The EDA tool can check the returns
  - Walter: What action does the tool take if the DLL returns a random string?
    - We can't specify all possible return values
  - Arpad: Is Default supposed to initialize something?
  - Walter: No
    - It is the default for a selection list in a GUI
    - The default may be between the smallest and largest value
      - But there should be an implicit default otherwise
  - Bob: Default replaces Typ
    - BIRD 140.2 species this
  - Walter: The Default must be an item in the list
  - Arpad: BIRD 140 specifies implicit choices when Default is missing
  - Arpad showed BIRD 127.4
    - This restricts Default values to the allowable set
  - Arpad showed BIRD 140.2
    - This specifies that Default overrides Typ for certain parameter types
- Slide 3:
  - Arpad: This diagram shows an Out parameter passed to the EDA tool engine
  - Ambrish: It can be used for error checking
  - Arpad: Then it should be an Info
  - David: The model might provide a refined value
  - Walter: Then it should be an InOut
  - Walter: A 4 x 5 table is returned as 20 numbers
    - The AMI info is needed to know the row column arrangement
    - This is the only time that info is needed
  - Arpad: The spec should say that
- Slide 4:
  - Arpad: How is Default used here?
  - Walter: Default is effectively Value here
- Slide 5:
  - Arpad: If no Default, the first item of a List is taken
- Slide 6:
  - Arpad: Default is different here for an In parameter
- Slide 7:
  - Arpad: Does the user make a List selection for an Out?
  - Ambrish: The DLL chooses
  - Arpad: Is the List used to check the model returns?
  - Ambrish: Yes
  - Walter: Disagree
- Slide 8:
  - Arpad: The DLL does not know Corner, how will it choose?
  - Walter: Create a MyCorner Model Specific to tell the DLL
  - Ambrish: We need to use these to check valid values
  - Walter: The benefit of that is small
- Slide 9:
  - Arpad: Please email suggestion for further refinements
  - Ambrish: We should add a new Format to allow returning anything
  - Arpad: I will not address this now
  - Bob: BIRD 140.2 might help but we have not voted on it yet
  - Walter: Format should be required for Out only for Table
    - The tool should ignore Format otherwise
  - Bob: Disagree
  - Arpad: Model makers will not know to specify all possible outputs

Meeting ended.

Next meeting: 03 Jan 2011 12:00pm PT

Next agenda:
1) Task list item discussions